Car Tax Refund

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

I recently gave my old car to a work colleague. Nowadays the tax is non transferable, so i just had a look online about getting a refund for the last remaining months, but it said "if you've sent off the v?? You can't usr the service.
So does that mean that I'll automatically get it refunded once they've sorted the ligbook out?

Cheers,
Dar

One more question lol. Regarding insurance. I've always had 3rd party f&t. So i know I'm insured to drive any other car. If my brother has got fully comp on his, is he insured to drive mine?

Cheers :)

If my brother has got fully comp on his, is he insured to drive mine?

Cheers :)
Check you insurance, you can only drive any other car if the car you wanna drive is insured by the owner of that car. You can't drive it if the car's no insurance and, some policies don't allow you to drive any car , some do.
My wife wanted to be able to drive any car so we had to shop around and read the small print, utter ball-acke as some stopped doing it. She wanted to drive a family member's car back home from down south and her policy so no so we had to get a days insurance to do so.

Providing the paperwork for the transfer was all legit, you'll get the money back in the post in a few weeks.

Fewer and fewer insurance companies now do the 'any car' cover. Though it's not always obvious unless you read the small print.

I thought that drive any car normally comes with Fully Comp, not 3rd party F&T?

Strange law as the car is taxed and not the owner,if we pass on the car the tax stays on the car but if been scrapped and time left on tax you should get a refund.

@cactikid Tax is NOT transferable as soon as you sell the car the new owner has to tax it and the old owner gets a refund on remaining tax. This has been the case for a few years now

i live in ireland think that may differ?
they wont be buying my old car from 1989 lol

I recently had no end of problems and I still think it's not been sorted yet. I recently bought a car for myself then after a change of circumstances it meant I wouldn't be needing it so I sold it. I only had it a couple of weeks so I paid for monthly tax, sold it but stupidly mailed off the new V5 I had just received with my name on it but forgot to without write the new number so I couldn't cancel the tax online.

I rang DVLA they said there's nothing they can do but as soon as the V5 I mailed gets changed to the new owner'S name the tax will be automatically stopped. I then received the "You are no longer the registered owner of ....." slip but the vehicle is still showing I owe money because I got another letter saying you have cancelled your direct debit (which I did) you are liable for this that the other so Monday I will have to chase this up again.

Back