Car Polish - Which One?

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Not polished the motor for a while now and going to give it a go tomorrow so
with lots out there to choose from which do you think is the best one, where to get it from and price

cheers

Not polished the motor for a while now and going to give it a go tomorrow so
with lots out there to choose from which do you think is the best one, where to get it from and price

cheers

Halfords were doing 3 for 2 on car cleaning stuff last week.
I got some tcut color magic and mer last week.

to give a top wax use collinite once a year

then I use turtle wax ICE quick and easy :) be dne in no time at all with ICE

polish either glym of muck off..

but get some demon shine, mix it 50/50 in a spray bottle and use it as a quick detailer.

i was the car once a month but just give the car a rince down and demonshine it once a week.

also use the demoshine on your glass (even if it says not to) brings em up nice and clean, but also has a small film that means the rain water will bead off it.. rather then stick to the screen (much like rain-x)

Mer was always good but the best polish is any polish that is being used by someone else doing the work :)

Who stocks auto glym or collinite or are they mail order? want to get something done tomorrow

I've just done over 1k miles around france and have a shed load of dead insects stuck to the front so need to get them off first.

is there any techniques for the above ie a very damp cloth when applying?

I've never gave any of my motors over the years any tlc so looking for some good advice

cheers

Collinite, you can get online from clean your car

For washing NEVER use a sponge, get a woollen wash mitt.

If you have not done your car for a while, you will need to clean the paint. You can either use a detailing clay bar or sonus paintwork cleaner or Auto Glym Cleanser.

Once the paint is clean, polish it with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish. That will give the shine, then finish of with a 2-3 coats of Collinite :)

It will look mint after that.

Mer has been recommended above, yes it gives a good shine but its about as durable as a soggy piece of kitchen towel

If you are on a tight budget, Meguiers 1 2 3 is reasonable :) You can get that from Halfrauds.

Have been using Autoglym and mer recently.
Disappointed with both really,both seem to leave that horrible white dust when you finish buffing and ive found when it rains then it drys the i get white lines in the joints around the bumpers and skirts.

Do think Autoglym is better than mer though.
Would like more reviews on that ice one if anyone is using it.

Andy.

autoglym, is ok, prefer colinite plus clay but pricey and only found it online

usually use meguiars gold available from any halfords, always use, micro fibre cloths to buff

If you have loads of insects and tar spots i would 100% reccomend a clay bar.
Halfords | Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit

You wont believe how much dirt it takes of seemingly spotless panels. The bodywork almost feels like glass after you use it. One of the best purchases ive ever made. You just spray the stuff on and let the clay glide over the bodywork lifting up all the dirt/tar and insects.

You should Wash-Clay-Wash-Polish-Seal-Wax!

Dodo Juice - Red Mist 250ml

Thats a good sealant

Mer is good for polish and This wax is awsome for the price:

Poorboys Nattys Paste Wax Blue

Follow that and your car will be gleaming.

Edit:

Should always apply polish/wax with these:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/foam-wax-applicator/prod_89.html

And buff off with a GOOD microfibre towel!

Last edited:
Collinite, you can get online from clean your car

For washing NEVER use a sponge, get a woollen wash mitt.

If you have not done your car for a while, you will need to clean the paint. You can either use a detailing clay bar or sonus paintwork cleaner or Auto Glym Cleanser.

Once the paint is clean, polish it with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish. That will give the shine, then finish of with a 2-3 coats of Collinite :)

It will look mint after that.

Mer has been recommended above, yes it gives a good shine but its about as durable as a soggy piece of kitchen towel

If you are on a tight budget, Meguiers 1 2 3 is reasonable :) You can get that from Halfrauds.
x2.......................

Thanks guys........some good advice there,

looks like I cannot get the all the stuff today so it will be a insect remove, wash and hoover today then for the waxing / polishing next week

in the meantime I think I'll have to watch the karate kid............wax on..........wax off

Lots of good advice and recomendations on their for you mate.

I did a spot of Valeting in my younger days to help a mate out and we always used Autoglym.

Not cheap , but by far the best.

To be fair unless your taking cars to shows and being judged on the results, then most good polishes wil give good results on the average family car.

Does it really make a difference?

My alloys are black and i usually just give them a wash and wax like the body!

You think this would be bette?

If you polish your alloys then put the wheel sealent on, it does make cleaning a lot easier, and you dont need chemicals to remove the dust.

Back