Car leasing or buying ?, first time driver

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My daughters just past her test today and were weighing up all options with her. I just wondered are there any deals leasing with/without insurance or any tips advice on her first car?

As janobi says, there's a good chance she will scrape it or something a old cheap nissan micra, cheap to insure (have you seen the prices for new drivers), the last thing she needs is to be worrying about damaging the car, check under the cills near the front of the micra if you go for that. Once she has experience and is confident on the road then is the time to get a decent motor.

I would pesonally get an old car until she gets used to driving on a regulat basis, you will pay through the nose for insurance, later down the line lease or to buy is an individual choice based on finances to hand and depreciation values, some will have incurance deals as part of the package, If you know someone that works for Jaguar land rover/Ford they have really good privilege deals, you lease initially but can buy at the end of the deal or hand back or move to another deal, if you have the finance at the end it is worth buying and sell on as a decent profit can be had to go onto next car if you wish to stick with up to date models.

A few years ago we went down the road of buying a cheap car for my son when he past, we got him an old Corsa. What you save on buying a cheap car you lose in the sky high insurance and forever at the garage. We only found out later it would have been cheaper to insure him for a 1.6 1.8 Sport no matter what make/model than a 15 year old Corsa.

Some of the older cars should carry a health warning when it comes to insuring them. That's why I asked about leasing as we've never looked into it so I wasn't sure if that was the right way to go and if there was any decent deals about. I must admit I had my doubts about the same as you lot.

But I certainly don't need a fookin comment like "she will crash it" not matter how tongue in cheek it was, wasn't nice to read sh!t like that m8 considering she only past today

Looks like "Bank Er Dad" is reopening :(

Last edited:
And Fridays lottery numbers are ?? ffs lol

Statistics show that a large percentage will crash their first cars. Passing your test doesn't mean you can drive, you only learn when you're driving properly, and you can be the best driver in the world, it's the other idiots on the roads you have to worry about.

As a new driver, she's looking at about 2k for insurance, and that'll be on something sub standard. If you want to go down the leasing option, then go for it. But the insurance will be higher on something newer, as the value of the car will be more.

Also boys will pay more for insurance than girls due to statistics of crashes and such.

Statistics show that a large percentage will crash their first cars. Passing your test doesn't mean you can drive, you only learn when you're driving properly, and you can be the best driver in the world, it's the other idiots on the roads you have to worry about.

As a new driver, she's looking at about 2k for insurance, and that'll be on something sub standard. If you want to go down the leasing option, then go for it. But the insurance will be higher on something newer, as the value of the car will be more.

Also boys will pay more for insurance than girls due to statistics of crashes and such.
Thanks for that but, do you think I need to hear "she will crash it" on the day she past her test ?. I dont give a flyer about stats and all that I just don't like hearing she will have a crash so bollux to stats. Or was your reply a round about kind of apology ? for ffs think before you ink

Thanks for that but, do you think I need to hear "she will crash it" on the day she past her test ?. I dont give a flyer about stats and all that I just don't like hearing she will have a crash so bollux to stats. Or was your reply a round about kind of apology ? for ffs think before you ink

Dude, if you're that worried about your daughter, I wouldn't let her out of the house. In fact wrap her in a bubble so she doesn't hurt herself.

Think you've taken what I was saying completely out of context, and interpreted perhaps your fears upon what I wrote.

Thanks for that but, do you think I need to hear "she will crash it" on the day she past her test ?.

Honestly mate, nothing personal was meant by that. It's an idiom that's been chuked about for years.

I've got this to come yet for mine and it scares the bloody life out of me what I've heard parents have to pay for their kids insuarance these days!!! Complete rip-off.

I wouldn't have thought they did new driver insurance on a lease, so please update how you get on as could come in handy.

I would never let my kids buy a banger, She will not crash it mate. Get the best she can afford and stick some P plates on it for a while, also get her to do the pass plus modules as this can greatly reduce the insurance and more importantly greatly reduce the chance of accidents.

My daughter did as above and she is a better driver than me lol She also has a better car than me ;)

Not sure about what to do with regards of lease or buy but look at insurance bands.

Vauxhall ADAM insurance band 2

Nissan Micra insurance band 5

Renault Clio insurance band 3

Hyundai i10 insurance band 2

SEAT Mii insurance band 2

These are the lowest insurance band cars, the rest like the focus and fiesta etc are all high bands..

Ignore janobi, he crashed into a morg years ago and knocked a coffin over, hes been with her ever since...

I'm going with the flow on this one and say an older car for at least a few months. Leased cars have 'acceptable return' damage on it. If they deem it not acceptable, you will be charged for repair etc. I'd say a new driver (even older ones like me) have scraped new alloys along the pavement in misjudgment - which could be costly!

Most new drivers at my work seem to go for Renault clio's as they are cheapish on insurance and fuel.

Ignore janobi, he crashed into a morg years ago and knocked a coffin over, hes been with her ever since...

Damn right K, that's what the taser is for, get a bit of movement out of her :)

• Haha
Reactions: K
Back