car insurance

bingcro2

Member ++
Reaction score
ive just had renewal reminder from halifax ins which is proper insurer.£298.I surfed around and i find that churchill will give me the same cover(so it seems) for £165.Has anyone every used churchill and if so are they reliable etc.How can the insurance compies justify 130 quid difference in quotes.I would be interested to hear any comments before i change companies at the end of the month

Its all to do with Risk management and how they calculate risk and also how the hedge their risks against other products (thats why you get some companies focus on specific groups of people as they will be well hedged elsewhere in their overall business portfolio).

As far as i'm aware Churchill are a very reputable company and you shouldn't have any real problems. What you will find is that most of the different Insurance companies are actually underwritten/subsidiaries of maybe 10 large financial corporations (the costs involved make it almost impossible for a small company to exist).

Dad's been with curch hill for years m8 never crashed so dunno what there claims are like but no gripes here m8

ive just had renewal reminder from halifax ins which is proper insurer.£298.I surfed around and i find that churchill will give me the same cover(so it seems) for £165.Has anyone every used churchill and if so are they reliable etc.How can the insurance compies justify 130 quid difference in quotes.I would be interested to hear any comments before i change companies at the end of the month

The difference in quotes can sometimes be in £1000's for youngsters.

The Halifax wasn't a quote anyway, it's a renewal, whereas Churchill are after your business.
New customers are always treated better.

The difference in quotes can sometimes be in £1000's for youngsters.

Tell me about it my first policy was £1400 for a Peugeot 106 1.1 and that was only TPTF, ive now had my license 3 year with 2 years no claims, obv a crash and 3 points and im looking at £500 still.

I got a 1.0 litre Polo as my first car a year ago and i had quotes between £1500-£4500

Now after a years no claims its down to £600. How can they justify that?

i once had a quote for £5000, so i changed an address and it went town to £2500, i payed that for two years, then it went down to £1100, then £900 now my next renewal quote is £785 which i find cheap. lol oh the £5000 grand quote was on a 1.2 litre punto. then it went down to the £1100 in a 1.8i volvo.

thanks for your replies I think I will take up churchills offer. Tks again will put that 130 quid to good use hic!!!

Churchill for me too. 4 years no claims with a 1.4 polo, renewal from Bell, £700. Churchill £350 fully comp.

Must be age catching you guys out as I only pay £230 for 1 2litre Mazda6

A tip I often find works is to use the comparison sites to see which is the best quote and then ring the top 3 or use their own websites direct. They build in a commission for some of the introducers in the price through their sites. If you go direct you can get that saving passed on to you!!!

Just done a quote with churchill and i may be going with them next year, for my Peugeot 106 i got $550 fully comp or £526 TPFT. But i maybe getting a new car in October, so can anyone point me in the direction of any company which does monthly insurance?

i just got done picking a new insurance company as the one i had (zurich) was just taking the piss with the prices, so i looked n looked n looked, best i came up with was admiral, cant remember exactly what the figures were but i know i made like a saving of at least 150quid a year or summit.

i just got done picking a new insurance company as the one i had (zurich) was just taking the piss with the prices, so i looked n looked n looked, best i came up with was admiral, cant remember exactly what the figures were but i know i made like a saving of at least 150quid a year or summit.

ohhh, and another thing i meant to add was, WATCH OUT for the con of the "voluntary" excess and "compulsary" excess's ...! dont get stung !!!

Car insurance companies have a rediculous habit of not mentioning too often about what the excess's are on a policy....

Make sure to ask what is my voluntary excess and my compulsary excess amounts, you would be VERY VERY surprised sometimes at how huge the excess's can be, especially the compulsary one which they never talk about.

For example, i picked my own voluntary excess, you can do that too, remember though, generally the lower the excess amount you choose it will make the premium higher, i picked £150 as that suited me, and my compulsary is set at £60 which i thought was not too bad, so that means if i have an accident my total excess would be only £210, not too bad.

On the other hand though, there was one company i got a quote off (tesco value insurance), they allowed you to choose the voluntary excess as normal and they set the compulsary at (wait for it, lol), £600, LOL, so it worked out like total excess of 750quid in the event of a crash, ilmao, i told them to go and take a run n jump, i asked the guy if he was serious, lol, he says yes, very serious, lol

So beware !!! of the dreaded excess's everyone, and always make sure you know what they are first of all.

hope this helps.

Just done a quote with churchill and i may be going with them next year, for my Peugeot 106 i got $550 fully comp or £526 TPFT. But i maybe getting a new car in October, so can anyone point me in the direction of any company which does monthly insurance?

Pointless getting monthly insurance cover, not sure you'll find it anyway.
Insure the car you've got and when you get a different car just change the car on your policy.

In any case if you cancel a policy you will get a refund for the outstanding months.

It's simple.

Pointless getting monthly insurance cover, not sure you'll find it anyway.
Insure the car you've got and when you get a different car just change the car on your policy.

In any case if you cancel a policy you will get a refund for the outstanding months.

It's simple.

Make sure you find out what the "admin" fees are once you change. The missus was with Sheilas wheels last year. Had insurance for a month and then moved house, they charged us an extra £70 to change the address details (and it was to a better area for insurance).

if you take the ref number of churchill and want to stay with halifax. Try giving them a ring and tell them you have a cheaper quote and say you have the reference number. They may beable to do something

Back