Car help needed

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys hope you can shed some light to what this may be.
got a 52 plate audi a4 1.9tdi. drives great only thing is sometimes it fails to start, well starts but then stops.

i'll explain, it will always start in the morning no problems, but after driving it, say engine stopped for 5 minutes then try to restart, it powers up but then stops. bit like how an immobilisor kicks in.
i dont think its anything to do with temp as when i drive it to work in the morning (1 hour drive) in the evening it will do the same thing. gotta try about 2 or 3 or even 4 times to get it to start.
to get it to start i gotta take key out, put key back in, sometimes even play with the stereo a bit, turn it on then off then it will start.

think its something electrical but dont know what.

PS: the plastic bit of the key fob is a bit broken but cant see if there is any damage on the inside.

it could be the transponder chip inside the key is loose m8, and it could be just rattling out of range of the coil around the ignition that picks it up, causing the car to stop

just a guess m8

gonna try celotaping it closed tight and see if that helps. hopefully its nothing with the car.

if the car starts then stops after a second its the key m8 .. open the key and see if the transponders moved . it should be right next to the key stork m8

same problem here with a old carisma get a new key cut m8 asap its well worth the money and could come in very handy if the other one breaks.

the key isnt brokn mate it starts then stops thats right. just opend it up, its not moved or anything. i've celotaped it really tight and it seems to have fixed it temporarily. gonna have to order a new key. can i get one from another car, same model, and reprogram it?

you'll get a new fob on ebay m8, you can program it yourself but you'll need an obd2 cable and a copy of vag-com.

you'll get a new fob on ebay m8, you can program it yourself but you'll need an obd2 cable and a copy of vag-com.

any good garages do it? dont want to be messing around on the car i break things more often than fix them.

any good garages do it? dont want to be messing around on the car i break things more often than fix them.

m8 i've got the cable and the software and you're welcome to a loan of it if you want (postage not included lol)

sorry to jump in here but i was wondering if i was to get a new fob for my trafic van what would i need to programme it thanks sorry again

v14 cheers mate might take you up on the offer depending on how much audi charge.

mike what area you live in?

look for a locksmith in the paper m8 and they will know someone

audi.jpg

Back