VU+ Duo capacitor change

boab34

Inactive User
Reaction score
anyone in glasgow able to assist in the red light problem ?
thanks boab

Capacitor failure is one of the easiest to fix that's if you can locate the offending item.
Normally there the barrel shape surface mount ones. Look at the top of it and if its bulging upwards then that's the bugger.
Flip the board out get some solder wick, solder, smallish soldering iron and remove it.
Look at the writing and buy a new one exact same (eBay easiest to get it right) drop it in making sure you get post/neg right way then solder away.
Wiggle the excess wire or nail clippers all done .
Takes 20 minutes tops

guy since maplins no longer has shops can you point me in the right direction
where to buy the capacitor please?
cheers boab

found this elsewhere
Capacitor C807 (on motherboard) 220uF 16v should be replaced by a new 330uF 16v (since this has a little more headroom for power).
amazon has them

i was in rs today as ive got an occount and they have to order them in

200 in stock for next day delivery, you will struggle to get them any quicker than that, lol. I just checked my through hole stock and I have 220uf in 10, 25 and 50v versions but unfortunately am over 300 miles away

CPC

Thought I'd seen it all, lol. Just flick them off with a hot iron mate and replace with proper 105° 220uf 16v caps

Sometimes when those capacitors go, the regulators go too. And as mentioned on other forum, it could also be PSU. Not worth throwing money at it unless you know what component is faulty or you can test with a donor part. Not to sure what the voltages are, but I'd test using a PSU for a PC if the voltages are the same.

I wouldnt't buy a second hand duo unless it is dead cheap, there are more powerful receivers out there.

Thought I'd seen it all, lol. Just flick them off with a hot iron mate and replace with proper 105° 220uf 16v caps

lack of pull-through on their THT soldering is more shocking :).

Panel breakoffs still left on their mouse bites.

I wonder if they got the Dc-DC converter design wrong and it puts out too much ripple, killing electrolytics. Not seen a 220uF ceramic in that package as far as I remember.

Last edited:
Yes, I was surprised by the panel breakoffs as well. Not worked on one of these boxes but I assume they originally had 85°C electrolytics which dried out. Larger cap of the 2 top right of the pic appears to be an 85°

Yes, I was surprised by the panel breakoffs as well. Not worked on one of these boxes but I assume they originally had 85°C electrolytics which dried out. Larger cap of the 2 top right of the pic appears to be an 85°

Where did the find them, I thought they were all 105C now.

Above I meant to say "220uF ceramic" in that package, edited. Might be able to fix it with some ceramic filtering capacitors but keep the electrolytic.

Back