Can't access media player hard drive

chookey

VIP Member
VIP Member
Got a 500GB drive in my media player with loads of files on it, full tv series and films. I can play it through the tv with no problems but it isn't accessible through my pc anymore.
When I connect it takes ages to appear in "my computer" and then starts autoplay but no files appear. Any attempt to access it stops "my computer" responding for ages before getting a message that the drive isn't accessible due to a i/o device problem.

In disk management the drive appears but has no file system. I removed the drive from the media case and connected it directly to my pc but that stopped my backup ide drive from appearing in my comp.

Seems I need to replace the drive but would hate to lose all my media files.

Is there anything I can do or am I just fooked?

Regards.......Chookey

jaffa

Inactive User
Only thing I can think of is, have you it set as a slave drive, as it may clash if set as a master with your pc master drive. Sorry that may sound obvious but you never mentioned it.

chookey

VIP Member
VIP Member
Cheers Jaffa, you're probably right there as I haven't done anything with the jumper settings.
Found a cracking prog that may be able to recover my data and then rewrite the mbr to the drive. Gonna give it a try as I have nothing to lose really.
Gonna take a while so will post the results later.

Chookey

chookey

VIP Member
VIP Member
Proved fruitless in the end. Too many bad sectors on the drive so will have to buy yet another new hard drive for it. This is currently number 3 as I destroyed the first 2 by tripping over the power lead and knocking it off the computer desk, lol.

chookey

VIP Member
VIP Member
Decided to download the Western Digital diagnostics tool and give it a try. Glad I did cos I have recovered my drive although it has took nearly 8 hours.

I ran a number of tests before rewriting the drive with zeroes, re-initialising it and creating a partition. I lost all the data on it obviously but don't have the cost of a replacement drive now.

Chookey

jaffa

Inactive User
Decided to download the Western Digital diagnostics tool and give it a try. Glad I did cos I have recovered my drive although it has took nearly 8 hours.

I ran a number of tests before rewriting the drive with zeroes, re-initialising it and creating a partition. I lost all the data on it obviously but don't have the cost of a replacement drive now.

Chookey
Good to see you got your drive going again, pity about content. Best to get downloading again...lol.

TEST