Canoe wife guilty of fraud plot

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
The wife of back-from-the-dead canoeist John Darwin has been found guilty of fraudulently claiming £250,000 after helping her husband fake his own death.

Anne Darwin, 56, convinced insurance companies, a coroner and her sons that he had died in a canoe accident.

She was convicted of six counts of fraud and nine of money laundering at Teesside Crown Court.

Mr Darwin, who reappeared five years after vanishing in the sea near Hartlepool, has admitted deception.

Anne Darwin had put forward the defence of "marital coercion", meaning her husband made her act against her will, but her claims were dismissed by the jury.

She kept her husband hidden in the family home in Seaton Carew, then claimed insurance and pension funds.

The couple planned to start a new life together in Panama, but the plot unravelled when John Darwin walked into a London police station last December

She was convicted of five charges of obtaining money by deception, one charge of obtaining property by deception and nine charges of money laundering.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/tees/7520803.stm

Published: 2008/07/23 11:45:00 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Too right as well. The most horrendous thing here is convincing their sons that he had died, how heartless would you have to be.

At the end of the day they'll do 3 years max and will have a nice story to sell to the press

LOL the only smart one in that family was the wife. Seems the sons went after their father.

Too right as well. The most horrendous thing here is convincing their sons that he had died, how heartless would you have to be.

agreed. cant believe that they almost pulled the whole thing off...

LOL the only smart one in that family was the wife. Seems the sons went after their father.

not so sure - she got the longer sentence by 3 months

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1463724.ece

this made me laugh

darwinmain_537186a.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone
Bernie_Ecclestone_F1_Boss.jpg

Anne Darwin

Last edited:
given they have only just started their sentence, who knows? The news report states they need to go through another hearing yet for compensation...

Bwah ha that picture of Bernie is spooky, the two do look very similiar.

Old people in prison, they'll be out in 3 years for sure.

Personally think the sentences were a bit much to be honest......

First offence for insurance fraud and you get 6 yrs straight up ?

Abuse a few 4-6 year olds and rape a couple of 14 yrs olds and get a suspended sentence even though its your 7th time getting done.... :err:

Sad state of affairs

if there sons arnt involve lm a dutch man .. they both worked in the insurance game aswell and both packed in there jobs weeks before the dad came back from the dead lol

if there sons arnt involve lm a dutch man .. they both worked in the insurance game aswell and both packed in there jobs weeks before the dad came back from the dead lol

I didnt know that Smirf..cheers for info. Before knowing that I would have said poor sons and how horrible the parents were but now I am not sure....thats not to say they were involved though.

btw Smirf...nothing wrong with being a dutch man...good Orange blood....lol

I didnt know that Smirf..cheers for info. Before knowing that I would have said poor sons and how horrible the parents were but now I am not sure....thats not to say they were involved though.

btw Smirf...nothing wrong with being a dutch man...good Orange blood....lol

sorry m8 catholic boy .. o u mean orange as in the team lol .. u being from the north lol

Back