cannot get into my dbox2

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

decided to take the plunge and bought a dbox 2 from germany, its is in debug mode, has the latest sportster image on it, so firstly i dont need to flash the latest image ? or do i ?, secondly i have got the latest sevices.xml files for bham, but i cannot transfer them over into the dbox2 directory listing, in my address bar i have typed,

"ftp://root:[email protected]/var/tuxbox/config/zapit"

when i press enter i get the message:

"FTP FOLDER ERROR

Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you have typed the filename correctly and have permission to access the folder.

DETAILS

A connection with the server could not be established"

I have connected a crossover cable and a null modem cable, established that the boxes ip is 192.168.5.5 but thats it i cant go any further, i have follwed liam craydens november tutorial guide, What does it mean by "FIRE UP YOUR FTP PROGRAM" ?, all ive got is the IFA, but thats in german after the first screen or two, nay help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

first of all hi ,when you are using anything like ifa or flash fxp make sure your network card is set to 1 less so if your dbox read192.168.1.100 then you put in 192.168.1.99 then when you are using ftp you ftp://root:[email protected] with flash fxp its the same your network card is set to 1 below what your d box says

flash fxp is the easiest to use and avialable in the downloads m8 then do as notanotheone and have the end digit in your ip one out to the box

Hi,

You will need a proper FTP program like FlashFX or Total Commander.
Or even using the FTP in the command prompt if you know your ftp commands.

When you go to Service Scan, what cable provider is available, if you already have CableUK Sym6952 and CableUK Sym6887, you should be able to do a full scan to pick up the channels in your area.

You are using the built-in Windows XP explorer FTP plug-in, thats fine.
However, note your dbox IP address: 192.168.5.5

For Windows to successfully connect to your box, you will need to ensure that
your network card is set to 192.168.5.1

If it isnt, then it simply will not be able to talk to your box.
Change the IP address of your computer using the details in the guide, and
then try connecting via FTP again.

ok thanks guys will have a go in a bit, when th kids stop giving me grief!!

liamcrayden said:
You are using the built-in Windows XP explorer FTP plug-in, thats fine.
However, note your dbox IP address: 192.168.5.5

For Windows to successfully connect to your box, you will need to ensure that
your network card is set to 192.168.5.1

If it isnt, then it simply will not be able to talk to your box.
Change the IP address of your computer using the details in the guide, and
then try connecting via FTP again.

hi

ok so whay your saying is change the ip address of my NIC from 192.168.0.2, as entered earlier in the beginning of the tutorial to 192.168.5.1, and this will allow me into the dbox directory.

Yes...or change the ip address on your dbox to 192.168.0.3 or 192.168.0.<anything above 2>.

johnny bravo said:
hi

ok so whay your saying is change the ip address of my NIC from 192.168.0.2, as entered earlier in the beginning of the tutorial to 192.168.5.1, and this will allow me into the dbox directory.

ok done the above and entered ftp://root:[email protected]/tmp, nothing got the message "operation timed out" can someone tell me exactly what to type in the NIC ip settings and what to type in the address bar, does it make any difference if i am connected to the internet wirlessly ?

johnny bravo said:
ok done the above and entered ftp://root:[email protected]/tmp, nothing got the message "operation timed out" can someone tell me exactly what to type in the NIC ip settings and what to type in the address bar, does it make any difference if i am connected to the internet wirlessly ?
hi m8 leave out the temp at the end just put in ftp://root:[email protected]

ok guys, ive had enough given up on this dbox, been at it for nearly 4 hours and i cant even get into the box, anyone wanna buy a nokia dbox ?

johnny bravo said:
yep, along with a null modem cable

Turn off all your firewalls and antivirus.
Make sure that you only have ONE network connection enabled on your computer (i.e... if you have internet turn on at same time... it wont work. so turn it off).

You say you have a null modem cable.... this is good. If you cant get the FTP method to work, then try going for IFA (Image Flashing Assistant). Tutorials and downloads in the DBOX2 downloads section.

Dont give up too easily.

hi m8 dont worry about it the first time i tried i was there for days lol anyway am not to sure about wireless but this is how i do it with flash fxp
first i go into network settings and and i right click >network connections then i> disable them the i right click and go to> properties then i disable firewall then i configure my ethernet connection to 10 half duplex then i go to internet protocol >then properties>then i go to use the following ip address and in there i put(because i know my box ip address is 192.168.1.100)i put in 192.168.1.99 then i hit return then it comes up for a subnet mark ok it then i go back and i enable my network connection because i have allready downloaded flash fxp open it up and in the server or url i put (my dbox ip address)which is 192.168.1.100>then i go username is root and password is dbox(or dbox2) does this make sense to you? or you could go as liam says (you must type fast liam)and use ifa

thanks for the help guys, gonna have a go tommorow and will let you know how i get on, got a headache after all that...cheers anyway.

no probs m8 it does give you a headache but once you do it a couple of times youll think is that it i learned of 2 of the best guys on here and have been helped by loads more one way or another because everybody wants to help

2 connections at once

Hi liam in your reply earlier you said
"Turn off all your firewalls and antivirus.
Make sure that you only have ONE network connection enabled on your computer (i.e... if you have internet turn on at same time... it wont work. so turn it off)."

this isnt quite true as im using a wireless thinkpad laptop connected to a wireless router with a crossover cable into my dbox via the laptops 10/100 ethernet port and im able to surf the web as well as log into the box at the same time.

@Jimbojambo

That might be true in an Ideal world but I bet that there are 99 % of users out there where this does not work.

Best Idea in that case always is better safe than sorry or you end up with a forum with 1000 posts all stating the same issue.

Best is to have a solid foundation to work from and not being disturbed by routers, firewalls antivirus etc

Back