Cannot connect Dreambox 7020S to laptop

antsy

Inactive User
Reaction score
I used a new CAT5e crossover cable with RJ45 modular plugs to connect a 7020 Dreambox with a hard disk to a laptop running Windows 7.

I unsuccessfully tried to ping the DM by inputing its IP address 192.168.1.34 in cmd.exe ("Destination host unreachable"). When I tried to connect using Dreambox Control Center V2.96 I got the message "Error 10057 in Send Socket is not connected".

I obtained the IP address by connecting the DM to a router and turning it on holding down the channed down button. However, the communication setup window in expert setup shows the following:

IP: 10.0.0.97 The DHCP box is ticked.
Netmask: 255.0.0.0
Type: LAN (no other options are available)
Nameserver: 192.168.1.1
Gateway: 127.0.0.1
The enable network box is ticked and the port box contains the figure 21.

The IP address cannot be changed if the DHCP box is ticked.

Does anybody have any idea what could be stopping me from getting the connection? Thanks!

untick the dchp and input an ip thats on your lan ie router 192.168.2.1
then ip on box should be summat like 192.168.2.x,i have mine at 192.168.2.10
then that way all me wireless connections are 2-8,also make sure the box has
same dns and gateway ip as router

I used a new CAT5e crossover cable with RJ45 modular plugs to connect a 7020 Dreambox with a hard disk to a laptop running Windows 7.

I unsuccessfully tried to ping the DM by inputing its IP address 192.168.1.34 in cmd.exe ("Destination host unreachable"). When I tried to connect using Dreambox Control Center V2.96 I got the message "Error 10057 in Send Socket is not connected".

I obtained the IP address by connecting the DM to a router and turning it on holding down the channed down button. However, the communication setup window in expert setup shows the following:

IP: 10.0.0.97 The DHCP box is ticked.
Netmask: 255.0.0.0
Type: LAN (no other options are available)
Nameserver: 192.168.1.1
Gateway: 127.0.0.1
The enable network box is ticked and the port box contains the figure 21.

The IP address cannot be changed if the DHCP box is ticked.

Does anybody have any idea what could be stopping me from getting the connection? Thanks!

If your connecting directly to your laptop with a crossover cable, then DHCP wont work.
Your laptop will not be running as DHCP server. Statically set the IP address, subnet mask and defualt gateway on both the laptop and the Dreambox ro adreeses that are on the same network range and subnet so they can communciate.

for example..
Using a standard Private Class C adress range

Set the Laptop ethernet card IP address details as:

- DHCP OFF (do not obtain an address automatically)
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Defualt Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS server: 192.168.1.1

(defualt gateway and DNS are not needed if you just want local connectivity between laptop and Dreambox).

Set the Dreambox to:

- DHCP OFF
IP Address: 192.168.1.3

Then try pinging between laptop and Dreambox...If there is still an issue, try disabling firewalls.
NOTE: The above assumes the laptop si standalone and not conencted to a wireless or wred router etc...

Thanks for your help, gsmtech. You are correct: I am trying to get a direct connection, not using a router. Could you please tell me how (or provide a link) to change the details of the laptop ethernet card IP address?

Which Operating System are you running on your laptop ?

For Windows XP use the following...if you are using a different OS, search in Google on "how to set staic ip address in XXX" Where XXX = your operating system.

# Click Start and then Glossary Link Control Panel, then select Network Connections. Once the Network Connections window opens, you should see your network connection labeled. Many networks and computers have more than one network connection. Choose the network connection that you use to connect to the internet. Once this network connection is selected, right click and choose properties.

# In the Properties window, select the General tab and then click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Once this is selected click on the Properties button.
# On this screen, choose the following radio button: Use the Following IP Address and then you will fill in the following information regarding:

* IP Address
* Subnet Mask
* Default Gateway

There will also be two radio buttons. Choose the radio Button: Use the Following DNS Server Address. There are two more fields to fill in, they are:

* Preferred DNS Server
* Alternate DNS Address

Once this information has been added, click OK. A static IP address has been set for Windows.

Read more about How to Set a Static IP Address in Windows

Hi gsmtech, my laptop is running Windows 7. Following your instructions, I set the Laptop ethernet card IP address details as:

- DHCP OFF
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
I left the preferred and alternate DNS server addresses blank.

I then set the Dreambox to:

- DHCP OFF
IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Enable network box ticked and port box 21.

When I tried to ping the DM address 192.168.1.3 on my laptop using the command prompt, I got the reply "Destination host unreachable."

I also tried setting the laptop's IP at 192.168.1.38 and the DM's at 192.168.1.34 (the addresses obtained when connecting with the router and using the application Dreambox Control Center to find all addresses in the local network), but the result of trying to ping was the same or the request timed out.

Can you spot what the problem is?

Firewall on your laptop ?

I take it, its not connected to the router at the same time. When you do connect to the router I assume ping to the router works just make sure ping command is working.

Also try setting up on a private network between the two, you should only need two items to connect

e.g 10.0.0.2 & 10.0.0.3
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

You can leave the remaining entries blank as you are not going to connect to the outside world. If you want your laptop to act like a router (e.g. laptop has wireless to your router and then x-over cable to dreambox) so your dreambox can connect to the internet then you need to switch on 'internet connection sharing' on your laptop's wireless connection.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions, oneman. I connected the laptop directly to the router upstairs and there was no problem to ping it using its IP address 192.168.1.1

I then set the communication setup screen on the Dreambox downstairs to:

IP: 10.0.0.3 DHCP off
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Type: LAN (the only option available)
Nameserver: 0.0.0.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Enable network box ticked and port box 21.

I set the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) properties on the Windows 7 laptop to:

IP Address: 10.0.0.2
Default Gateway: (blank)
I also left the preferred and alternate DNS server addresses blank.

I connected the laptop to the Dreambox with the crossover ethernet cable (i.e. no router involved) and restarted both machines. The result of trying to ping 10.0.0.3 on the laptop was "Destination host unreachable."

Why do you think I cannot get a connection?

untick the dhcp and change the values to something like this

IP: 192.168.1.X <--add any number
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Type: LAN (the only option available)
Nameserver: x.x.x.x <--should be same as router access
Gateway: x.x.x.x <--should be same as router access
Enable network box ticked and port box 80.

then tick dhcp and save

Hi dj999. I followed your instructions. My attempt to ping the DM resulted in "Request timed out." When I returned to the communication setup in the DM, the settings had changed back to 10.0.0.97 and the netmask to 255.0.0.0. It seems that whenever DHCP is ticked, these settings are given automatically.

untick dhcp, made the changes, press the green button to save and then the yellow button to test

dj999, I followed your instructions. However, once the settings in the communication setup screen were saved by pressing the green button, there was no function to be selected by pressing the yellow button in either the communication setup or the expert setup screens. Maybe that function doesn't exist on the DM 7020S model.

I tried to set up a local area connection on the laptop, but it did not register the fact that I had plugged in the ethernet cable which I had already plugged in to the DM. This may explain why the next stage, setting up the IP, does not work. There is no problem with the ethernet sockets or cable because I am able to set up the network if I use of the router upstairs.

if trying to communicate from the laptop, might possibly needa serial connection

Back