Can you use a sky dish as your telly ariel if you put one of this connections things on the wire?

joeblaze

DW Regular
Reaction score
i know i ask what are probably stupid questions but im not clued up on any most of the stuff on this site

one of me buddys is doing this and its working he is picking up a few extra channels that he doesnt get with a normal wee ariel you plug in the telly but that telly is his pride and joy id hate for it to be damage is it ok to do that?

cheers

Lol, you can't connect a dish to an aerial antenna RF input.

You could connect one to box with a sat tuner and get the free channels. :)

he put one of those screw in things on the end of the cable so it plugs in his normal tv ariel socket is that bad thing to do? it did pick up extra channel rte etc he didnt get with a wee plug in ariel?

It's working what I want to know is could it damage his telly

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Without voltage being applied to the LNB the satellite dish is unable to receive satellite signals. A tv without sat tuner is unable to supply the needed voltage, 13 or 18v dependant on channel polarity.
He can't harm the tv

He getting the Freeview HD channels and rte channels that he never got before with his small Ariel so if it can't cause harm he will be happy as a pig in shit

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Almost certainly connected to a sat tuner on his tv. Is it an LG by any chance?

Without voltage being applied to the LNB the satellite dish is unable to receive satellite signals. A tv without sat tuner is unable to supply the needed voltage, 13 or 18v dependant on channel polarity.
He can't harm the tv
My first though was that some TV's can output 12V for an aerial amplifier. But the IF would be all wrong so I can't see even that working.

Back