Can you record one channel and play another?

bildar

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, I have got used to the idea of recording a channel from the Dbox using wingrab and vlc which is very easy to do i have not used jackthegrabber or winserver but wondered if it possible to watch a different channel to the one being recorded with the dbox connected to the PC?

Is there some kind of server program available to do this or better streaming programme? some sort of tivo programme?

It is not possible to watch one channel on your Dbox while you record another on the same Dbox, unfortunatley. There is nothing to stop you having two dboxes though, if thats what you want to do.

As for a TIVO program I think thats what Jack the Grabber does, but its all in German, if I could find some more information not in german I could start to write a plugin for digiguide, that would be very cool indeed.

the dbox only has one tuner. unfortunately, two tuners would be required to perform any task such as this.

Whats this jack the grabber, I like the sound of it, prehaps an english translation can be created...

Liam.

Is there not a way to stream the data onto a network so the channels can be broadcast onto different network frequencies allowing you to record and play different frequencies or would a way of doing this would be to use a dvb tuner card and something like mythtv?

The data bitstream on each channel is between 3-5mb/s and dbox stream max is 10mb/s but on a pc its unlimited with a dvb card?

Jackthegrabber is a program which allows you to record by epg i have got a small guide on it if you want it which i have come across searching on the net as most the information is in german

It IS theoretically possible to get the dbox to record or stream more than one channel at the same time BUT they'd have to be on the same transponder.

You've also got the problem that the dbox only has 10mbit ethernet - depending on the channel bitrate, you might saturate the dbox's network connection, resulting in gaps in the streams :(

So while it's possible (in theory) it's not practical.

You could do it with VDR (in linux) and a DVB-C card though.

I remembered someone mentioned in this forum that we can record 1 channel and watch another channel (or watch 2 different channels). However, the software is just in the early stage. Since then, there has been no further development.

I tried to use the search function of the forum to find that information again, but I couldn't.

Anyone knows ?

Thanks,
SV

Yes it is possible as I have done this myself unwittingly.
At the time I wondered why I could only get one channel to appear in the channels list but as it says here, it must have been on the same transponder as the channel I was recording.
I was using the direct record method to record straight onto my hard drive.

Back