can you make a dual wan router ??

but the thread telling how to hack routers is away now :(

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

That's why God gave us Google mate :)

Totally agree about the 'i did it' factor, it can't be beaten! :)

But a nice little hacked router is much more neat and I'm sure you'll agree that it'll use considerably less power that a 300w PSU powering a motherboard etc :)

Personally I use Wingate coz I'm a tight Scot ;)

yes i do agree mate i had a go with wingate but it don,t give me more upload speed and i need faster uploads

Yer only some things will give you double upload speed with Wingate.

Filesharing apps can generally make use of Wingates dual channel upload.

I thought it only gave you better upload on things like torrents and other p2p stuff.

I thought it only gave you better upload on things like torrents and other p2p stuff.

Because you have multiple IP addresses (no bonding) you only get a real advantage on either multiple seperate streams or by using protocols that accept (and reconstruct as you cant guarantee reception order) data from multiple IP's at the same time.

i think ill have a go at building this one then if it runs ok ill just go buy a dual wan i think its the best way to go

Because you have multiple IP addresses (no bonding) you only get a real advantage on either multiple seperate streams or by using protocols that accept (and reconstruct as you cant guarantee reception order) data from multiple IP's at the same time.

can that be done with linux? on comps?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Aye mate, an old pc running Linux and configured as a dedicated routers is second to none, you can keep adding LAN cards to create as many WAN ports as u like :)

but can it combine bandwidth? combine everything into 1? so when you connect to anything it thinks youve got Xmb down and Xmb up?

instead of 2 connections of 20mb/1mb 20mb/1mb

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

but can it combine bandwidth?
In general, no. As already said, if you've got torrents etc (anything with multiple connections), then it's possible to utilize both pipes. If you just want to watch youtube really quickly, then you propbably can't use both connections. There are options such as special downloader programs that open up multiple connections, requesting different parts of the same file, but anything working with a single connection can only utilize one connection at once.

It'll also be awkward running an internet radio through dual wan. To use both modems, you've got to get people to connect evenly to both ip addresses. One way to do it would be to have the station's home page use links which are dynamically created for each user, depending what the current connections were like.

you could combine bandwidth, but you would need one ip to do this. With two modems, you have two different ip's.

Back