Can you FTP to an xbox running just the microsoft dash ?

Budgie

Inactive User
Reaction score
I`ve been having problems trying to install XBMC as my main DASH on my xbox using AID or Slayers. I`ve decided I`m going to try and install XBMC by FTP`ing to the xbox. As I work away from home and don`t have the xbox here just wondering if you can FTP to an xbox running just the microsoft dash ? Any help appreciated ?

I`ve been having problems trying to install XBMC as my main DASH on my xbox using AID or Slayers. I`ve decided I`m going to try and install XBMC by FTP`ing to the xbox. As I work away from home and don`t have the xbox here just wondering if you can FTP to an xbox running just the microsoft dash ? Any help appreciated ?

Kind of. You need to boot a CD that has the FTP software installed - Evox, Slayers etc. You can then access the files on the various partitions once the FTP connection is configured

just put "ftp://xbox:[email protected]" in the my computer address bar or IE
192.168.1.3 or whatever ur xboxes ip is
its real slow

The Xbox dashboard does not have an FTP server, the above idea will not work.

It must be running an FTP server which will only happen if you either already have an up and running hacked dashboard with the FTP server option enabled or have booted the Xbox from a boot cd and executed the FTP server software.

Bedgie,

Have you chipped or softmodded it yet, without that you are not going to be able get further.

Xbox is chipped but with an old executor v1. I think thats the reason that neither AID or Slayers will install the XBMC as my default boot up drive.

Anytime I use AID or Slayer I can install XBMC to the E: drive but it still boots the microsoft dash from the C: drive. Not sure if it`s just a file or something I should edit ?

Its the BIOS that the chip has been flashed with. You can put a dummy xbe file on C: which switches boot to e: I believe.

Its the BIOS that the chip has been flashed with. You can put a dummy xbe file on C: which switches boot to e: I believe.

Yes, there's a re-director tool that comes with the XBMC releases

Current drive setup

C: has microsoft dash
E: formatted

Is this what I should do then ?

1. Install XBMC from my AID disk to the E: drive
2. Copy whatever the xbe file which allows the xbox to XBMC from E: to C:

I assume there is a program that will allow me to copy files from E: to C: ?

Anyone know the name of the xbe file ?

Do I just install it on the root of c: ?

Should I delete the xbe file that I assume is already there and points to the microsoft dash as the bootup dash ?

3. After I can boot to XBMC which I assume has an FTP server should I then FTP to the xbox and overwrite E with the latest version of the XBMC files that I`ve downloaded ?

Again thanks for all your help

I have not done it for a while but when you install XBMC via AID I though it gave you the option of which drive to install it to. If you select E:, does it not automatically update default.xbe in the root of C:

Yes once you have xbmc installed you can update via FTP, however I generally tend to boot from AID and use the FTP server on there to do the updates.

I have not done it for a while but when you install XBMC via AID I though it gave you the option of which drive to install it to. If you select E:, does it not automatically update default.xbe in the root of C:

It doesn`t appear to update the default.xbe file on my C drive as no matter what dash I install to the E: drive using AID it always boots the microsoft dash from C: ??? I initially thouht it was something to do with the fact it`s an old executor v1 chip in my xbox ???

Back