Can Virgin or any ISP block your MAC?

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Im gonna keep this short. Hope sum1 can shed light on this.

My computer is connected to my linksys wired (4 switch) and wireless router which is connected to my virgin/ntl modem (all via ethernet).

a week ago the internet stopped reponding and all the lights were on. i tried rebooting modem router etc etc. Connected laptop directly to modem and it worked fine but when i connected computer directly it didnt work. router wasnt working either with laptop wired or wireless.

Called up ntl and they werent helpful.

i diagnosed the fault myself and figured out that if i used the other network card on my pc, it worked fine when plugged in directly to the modem, but not when plugged into the router (which i then connect to the modem).

I tried to clone my pc's mac in the router for the first mentioned network card but that didnt work. so i kept my computer connected to the router using the original network connection, the first mentioned network card, and in the router config, i entered the MAC address of the 2nd network card manually. PRESTO it worked.

tried explaining this to the idiots at virgin and they keep saying that they dont support 3rd party routers and totally ignoring what i am saying.

then the manager told me i should try the MAC address that is written under my modem as that is the only MAC address they support. but if thats the case i woz thinking, why has it been working fine for soo long until a week ago with the router's own MAC?

i tried the modem's MAc in the router and i got some weird IP address in the router's status page (basically the ip address for the router obtained by the modem's DHCP and the gateway for the router) and the internet did not work at all.

So right now im using the MAc address from the second card.

ANyone know if virgin can disable a MAC for too much downloading or something and what i am meant to say to these idiots at virgin. should i speak to richard branson? lol

btw, router firmware is up to date and even tried resetting factory defaults and reflasshing with the latest firmware.

Sorry, was meant to keep it short, but i guess might as well get all the story across.

HELP!!!

Regards

with virgin u can have 2 nic addys registered

so my router nic mac should be fine isnt it? for some reason after like more than a year of using this router on my broadband, its decided to stop till i changed the mac address

so my router nic mac should be fine isnt it? for some reason after like more than a year of using this router on my broadband, its decided to stop till i changed the mac address
phone up and ask what nic macs they have for u
tell them u want to register the nic for ur router

AHH!!! nice one david. i really hope that works matey. i been fuming really badly at them and mixed with exam stress its really doing my nut.

edit: do i have to phone tech support or can i call cust services? difference of 25p per minute!! lol

Back