Can TW reduce your signal strength

Hairy Steve

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys. I did a sagem 1x box for a guy a few months ago, he called me a fortnight ago saying his box was feezing and the sound was going, basically unwatchable. He's TW.

I'm Nt| So i got the box back and i set it up for Nt| and i plugged it in and it was sweet as a nut, running great, didn't freeze in the two weeks i've had it on.

Is it possible that TW has done something to his signal? He has another box though and he says it's running fine.

He's picking it back up tonight and hopefully that will be the end of it. I hate these bloody awkward situations. Last time i do a box for somebody other than a friend or family member.

That said, if it's still giving him bother, any suggestions on what i can do, other than change my phone number and move house.

You've proven that the box isn't at fault and it's probably related to his signal, as you've said.

Tell him to swap the boxes over and see if the freezing stays with the box or stays at the same location. Also try connecting the box to the main feed on it's own, i.e. no other modems, cable boxes, etc. and see if the freezing stops.

i know it happens with ntl and i suppose it happens with tw . when a cab gets full in the street they will split the lines to fit you all in . and this causes dboxes to go funny. i have had problemslike this with a normal sub box .

but this can happen the other way aswell there might be to much signal wich will also cause the same problems . so answer to your question is yes they can reduce the signal . but if they were doing a proper job they wouldnt be.
but we are talking about bodge it and fixit type installers.

What nj2006 said....

The green CAB's only have a limited number of outputs or TAP's so when the green cabs become full they split peoples line with a splitter. This can cause all ends of problems, mostly introduces loads of error rates onto the lines.

Best thing to do is use the engineers mode on the NTL/TW TV box's and look for SNR and Error rate.

HTH

Thanks guys. He picked it up yesterday i hope not to hear from him again.

I basically said to him that there must be a problem with his signal and that there was nothing more i could do, i told him if it persists he should buy a signal booster.

I got the feeling that he thought i was trying to palm him off. When in actual fact i've done everything i possibly could, spent my own time and effort checking his box, all at no cost.

arsehole.

Back