can taxi driver smoke??

notanotherone

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i dont know the answer to this one,my sister who is a non smoker gets taxi`s everywhere, she got into a cab the other day and the guy lite up a ciggarete she said to him about it and he said he would open a window if it bothered her ,she answered "id rather you didnt smoke in the car as i suffer from asthma" he refused ,what can she do?

ok i dont know the answer to this one,my sister who is a non smoker gets taxi`s everywhere, she got into a cab the other day and the guy lite up a ciggarete she said to him about it and he said he would open a window if it bothered her ,she answered "id rather you didnt smoke in the car as i suffer from asthma" he refused ,what can she do?

smoking is banned in all work vehicles, so the driver was breaking the law.
if she feels strongly enough she could report him to the local licensing office.

From July 07 , legislation will make it illegal in England to smoke in virtually all enclosed public places, workplaces and public and work vehicles, including public transport and buildings associated with public transport. The new legislation will mean smoking in all taxis and private hire vehicles will be illegal. Previously, drivers could decide whether or not to allow passengers to smoke in their vehicles.

From http://www.tgwu.org.uk/Templates/Ne...42438&int2ndParentNodeID=42438&Action=Display

there should be exceptions for some Smokin' Taxi Drivers tho ;)

4029.jpg

She would be smoking something other than a cigarette though mate ;) whilst I was driving of course.....lol

Could you explain yourself in a little more detail m8, LOL !!!

Nice bit of gear that, better than the munters round my way !!

Back to topic......it's illegal for the driver of the taxi to smoke...it's his responsibility to be aware of the law, report him !!

Best place is to report him to your local authority who licenses taxi's. They will then write to him for an explanation of his actions and he'll be warned. If he does it again they will revoke his license, and he could also face prosecution!

She could in theory sue him for endangering her health, since he has clearly broken the law.

Just a thought!

I don't know about the new smoking laws, but as part of the PSV/Taxi license terms he is not allowed to smoke in the car when he has a fair.

If she has a witness and a way of identifying him/the taxi then she could report it but without a witness they will simply make a note on his file and perhaps send him a letter, nothing more.

Im a taxi driver and your not allowed to smoke full stop whether you have a fare or not.Classed the same as shops pubs and work premises.

Last edited:
As andy says...Big no no.
Normally I would give a monkies...If the guy was an arsehole, report him. You won't need a witness. If other people have reported him then thats enough.

I don't know about the new smoking laws, but as part of the PSV/Taxi license terms he is not allowed to smoke in the car when he has a fair.

If she has a witness and a way of identifying him/the taxi then she could report it but without a witness they will simply make a note on his file and perhaps send him a letter, nothing more.

I would imagine, the way law works now in this country, that if she told a policeman about it, there would be 7 squad cars outside his house within minutes and possibly a chopper flying overhead.

slightly off topic but cant understand why its illegal to talk on your mobile whilst driving (and rightly so) but a taxi driver can chat away down his CB thing back to office!!

Mate i had the same problem and the driver wouldn't put it out but luckily i had a bottle of water on me and i extinguished it myself :roflmao: you should have seen his face what a shock he got but at least he got my point so fook him and get him told or just report him the next time as i'm sure he won't want his license revoked.

as andy says , im a taxi driver to and u r not allowed to smoke in cab with or without a passenger if u report him he will be pulled infront of licenceing board and repremanded but i dont think anything else will happen as she has nop witnesses

did the taxidriver have no smoking signs on his windows as now you have to display them

Back