Can someone explain newsgroups to me

robc11

DW Regular
Reaction score
Just wanting a heads up on newsgroups as I'm looking at paying for one, but i dont want to jump straight in. What im after is some info on them e.g what are they, how to setup, best ones etc. :Cheers: in advance.

Newsgroups is the modern name for ye old Usenet.

Usenet was around before the internet (as we know it) and can be accessed via different routes.

Basically, without getting too technical, it involves encoding files into emails and posting them onto usenet servers, which are kinda like large e-mail servers except everyone can see the messages - they are not private. Your chosen Newsreader will grab all the relative 'e-mails' and join them together, it will then decode them (currently the most popular method of decoding is the Yenc system, but some post still usiong the old UUencode system - this is irrelevant though)

Regardless of encoding method your........oh fook, I wanted to keep it simple but I can't, I'm a saddo nerd.

I'll hand it over to someone else...

Newsgroups is the modern name for ye old Usenet.

Usenet was around before the internet (as we know it) and can be accessed via different routes.

Basically, without getting too technical, it involves encoding files into emails and posting them onto usenet servers, which are kinda like large e-mail servers except everyone can see the messages - they are not private. Your chosen Newsreader will grab all the relative 'e-mails' and join them together, it will then decode them (currently the most popular method of decoding is the Yenc system, but some post still usiong the old UUencode system - this is irrelevant though)

Regardless of encoding method your........oh fook, I wanted to keep it simple but I can't, I'm a saddo nerd.

I'll hand it over to someone else...

That was informative you geek.

Have a read at Slycks guide below and then ask any questions you may need to ask.

You need a news client and theres plenty of indexing sites about to grab an nzb (which is just a small file which tells the client where the files are you want)

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Best value for money news server is Ngroups (IMHO) there are better but not better value.

download grabit a tool you need to grab the nzbs

download newsbin a great nzbs finder files finder

join a newsgroup like NGroups are usenext

use newzbin to find the movies you want are apps click created the nzb file grabit will auto grab the movie and start downloading it.

once you get the files you use quick par to make sure all files are fine and then use winrar to extract

sounds a faff on but after you get started its a doddle should take no more then a couple hours to get to full gribs I did and im a numpty

That was informative you geek.

Have a read at Slycks guide below and then ask any questions you may need to ask.

You need a news client and theres plenty of indexing sites about to grab an nzb (which is just a small file which tells the client where the files are you want)

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Best value for money news server is Ngroups (IMHO) there are better but not better value.

thats better jaffa yerr witchy you lazy man why didnt you explain your self lmao

I agree with Jaffa, Ngroups can't be beaten for price vs service.

@ Femalelizard, sorry mate, but my post was gonna go on and on explaining all sorts of non essential bullshit, lol

I agree with Jaffa, Ngroups can't be beaten for price vs service.

@ Femalelizard, sorry mate, but my post was gonna go on and on explaining all sorts of non essential bullshit, lol

yeh jaffa is clever though he just used someone elses already typed up post lmao what a show off

yeh jaffa is clever though he just used someone elses already typed up post lmao what a show off

lmao...thats the best way...lol, although slycks guide can be a bit tedious aswell but it does explain almost everything and its were I started.

Witchy was around when they used morse code to download stuff....:proud:..........but he knows his newsgroups, the old school way.

Witchy was around when they used morse code to download stuff....:proud:..........but he knows his newsgroups, the old school way.

Shut up!

You're making me feel old :(

Morse Code is a new fangled technology for me, we used to do it by smoke signal. :)

And let me tell you......downloading a Xbox360 game by smoke takes decades :(

I'm going to unsubscribe from my Smoke-Server.

The slyck guide is good.

Just a couple of points to add to it,

newzbin.com is not accepting any new members unless you know an existing member and they recommend you. Shame as it is great indexing site. There are other ones out there, if you do a search on NZB on this site, there was a thread about it a few weeks ago that had a list of other NZB sites.

Giganews do a 10GB / 3 day trail but you need your credit card info. IMHO, they are the number one provider but also one of the most expensive ($25 per month), hey you get what you pay for.

I also like newshosting.com ($155 per year) and somebody else posted another french or belgium based provider that looked interesting (7 euro a month).

If you want a free NZB based news reader that will auto par/unrar that is web based (you can inject NZB files remotely if you want) have a look at NINAN

Else I like newsreactor which supports NZB or header download method and also SSL encryption.

Personally I prefer to do it old-skool. :)

Learn a little about Usenet and download your own headers and never miss a thing.

But be prepared to sacrefice a lot of drive space soley to headers.
This method combined with a decent indexing site means you'll never miss anything.

(Newzbin.com IMO had went downhill for the last year, but recently they seem to have gotten their act together)

Personally I prefer to do it old-skool. :)

Learn a little about Usenet and download your own headers and never miss a thing.

But be prepared to sacrefice a lot of drive space soley to headers.
This method combined with a decent indexing site means you'll never miss anything.

(Newzbin.com IMO had went downhill for the last year, but recently they seem to have gotten their act together)

I used to do that what a headache to update the groups though to keep on top of the headers ahhh you must be a xbox360 freak are sommick witchy lol
how many games you got I hear tigerwoods 2010 is out

Cheers guys I'm having a read now. Ill get back to you lot with some questions undoubtedly :proud:

Cheers guys I'm having a read now. Ill get back to you lot with some questions undoubtedly :proud:

Thats the best way rob. Once you have the news client set up and a dedicated server then its just like downloading a torrent, you click on the nzb and it opens in your client. Some like newsleecher (my choice) and I think newsbin will download, repair if needed, extract the file to a folder of your choice and delete the rars all automatically, so you are just left with the file you wanted and theres no ratios or anything to worry about as you don't need to upload anything unless you want to and your connection will max out everytime...unless capped by your ISP.

So how much shall i expexct to pay for all the needed things?

So how much shall i expexct to pay for all the needed things?

Depends on what server you pick, giganews is the reknown leader but very expensive, roughly about £13/month but Ngroups works out about £6.50/month if you pay in dollars and that gets you 100 day retention, which means they keep they files on their servers for 100 days. Giganews is something like 200 days but do you really need that. I would personally recommend Ngroups, as would a lot of members here. I have been with them for years and never failed me once. The rest wont cost a thing as you can either download a client and crack or get a free client like grabit. There are loads of free nzb hosting forums about like nzbdogz which are good or someone could invite you to Newzbin which you have to pay for but around the start of December they have the yearly bonus sale and it works out a about £5 for a year.

I think once you get into newsgroups you will never go back to anything else.

This all sounds very complicated to me ! .And i download with newsgroups every day.What you basically need need is a program that gives you a fair amount of time (Weeks) to find something you want to download.you have to pay for something like this.I use Newsdemon.its £9 a month.Then you need a program that will let you download the stuff .i.e newsdemon searches for it another program downloads it .To download i use Newsleecher ( you can get a hacked copy if you search) There is a a little bit more to it than this but this is where you should start

Cheers for all the help lads i think im going for Ngroups for the server, i was looking at Giganews but decided against it. How many connections do you get with Ngroups is it unlimited too and I've just downloaded a 'free' version of Newsleacher. so basically all i will need once i buy access to Ngroups is an nzb site. I guessing on the right track now :proud: :Cheers:

*So anyone wanna send me an invite to Newsbin then im good to go

Last edited:
Cheers for all the help lads i think im going for Ngroups for the server, i was looking at Giganews but decided against it. How many connections do you get with Ngroups is it unlimited too and I've just downloaded a 'free' version of Newsleacher. so basically all i will need once i buy access to Ngroups is an nzb site. I guessing on the right track now :proud: :Cheers:

Spot on. You get 12 connections, they say 12 connections betwen the Europe server and the US server but I set both to 12 although it just uses the Europe server the most.

Sorry I may be confusing you. With Ngroups you have a Europe server and a US server, both server addys are on their site. You can set up both in newsleecher. Best thing to do is use the free newsleecher to download a cracked version of newsleecher...lol

Back