can i use pc as a make shift router

i-zombie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hello all just got myself a shiny new laptop with various bells and whistles and id like to get online with it with out trailing wires all over the gaff

now i have my modem plugged into the pc,i have a wireless card in the pc(currently dissabled) and wireless built into the lappy

is there any software or way of letting me connect to the pc from laptop wirelessly while still using my modem

i did reckon to try but as soon as i enables the wireless card,my modem connection dropped

any help appreciated

Try using the network connection wizard to set the PC to "other computers connect to the internet through this computer".

But your not the only one to have problems sharing an internet connection whilst connected to their modem via USB. Do you not have the option of ethernet on the modem?

Try using the network connection wizard to set the PC to "other computers connect to the internet through this computer".

But your not the only one to have problems sharing an internet connection whilst connected to their modem via USB. Do you not have the option of ethernet on the modem?

the modem is connected via ethernet,and i do have ics set up and working,my problem is when i enable the wireless in the pc.the pc uses that as the primary net connection

so even tho the modems connected,the connection goes off

Sounds like XP has decided that the wireless connection is the default conenction.

Adapted from elsewhere:
  1. Go to the Network Connections screen.
    • On the default start menu; Click Start > Control Panel > Network Connections.
    • On 'classic' start menu; click Start > Settings > Network Connections.
  2. In the Network Connections window, right click the current default connection and click Cancel as Default Connection. (The default connection always appears with a check mark over it in the Network Connections window.)
  3. Then, right-click the connection you want to be the default and click Set as Default Connection.

If you have wireless capabilities on your desktop PC just get yourself a Netgear WG111v2 or WG111T usb wireless adapter. Plug one of these into a usb port on your lappy and then go about setting it up to work with your wireless capability on your desktop PC. All this assuming you have a broadband connection and appropriate router/modem.

What wireless capability do you have on the PC?

What modem is it?

If you need help setting it up let us know.

If you have wireless capabilities on your desktop PC just get yourself a Netgear WG111v2 or WG111T usb wireless adapter. Plug one of these into a usb port on your lappy and then go about setting it up to work with your wireless capability on your desktop PC. All this assuming you have a broadband connection and appropriate router/modem.

What wireless capability do you have on the PC?

What modem is it?

If you need help setting it up let us know.

I was wondering why you are recommending he gets a USB wireless adapter, I think the first post states the laptop already has wireless.

Looked into recommending a wireless bridge for the modem and then connecting everything wirelessly...

But on pricing up it wouldn't cost much more to just get a wireless router, which would still allow the PC to connect via ethernet.

... I think the first post states the laptop already has wireless.

It does.

Interesting, I was wonder if you can connect USB and ethernet at the same with the cable modem (which I assume he has). Which would get the public IP address from the ISP ?

Cool, but I'm pretty sure you could have bridged the connections by selecting both connections in the connections windows from the control panel, and choosing bridge. But I dunno. I know that works with wired, maybe not wireless.

u could have set up the wireless card on ur pc as an access point in it's software and then shared the modems connection to it in ics. maplin told me i needed a router. wrong :Clap:

Back