can i stream a channel over the net?

totalnewbie

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys!

i was just wondering if it was possible to stream a channel over the internet using software as my bro is at uni and wants to watch the ricky hatton fight live?

my box is connected to my pc and im currently using tuxvision to watch the channels.

thanks again!

People have tried it before; but to be honest there isnt enough upload power behind these crappy UK broadband connections.

You might be able to get away with using a 10MB broadband connection, but even that only has a 346KBps upload speed - and you're more than likely going to get blocks, patchy transmissions, and blank screens.

Liam

Some ISPs offer 768k uploads, which is more than enough for a reasonable quality real-time WMV encode. In fact, you can get decent results with as little as 30k+ up. You can't stream the original MPEG2 broadcast stream with anything less than 3-4mbit up, though.

If your PC is fast enough, VLC should give you the option to pick up the stream from the box and encode and boradcast it in a number of different formats. Alternatively, use the S-Video or Composite with a capture card or TV-in on your videocard and use Windows Media Encoder, which is probably the easiest option.

I've used VLC successfully to do this but you need to catch a good connection on a good day, i.e. if there's much internet traffic and you don't get a nice clean connection through to the viewer client, you get breakups (e.g. my mate in Canada!)

Back