Can I sell my BT landline number ??

de_deej

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a general enquiry that I am hoping somebody (maybe an employee of BT ;) ) can help me with;

I have a highly sort after BT landline phone number, so much so BT have a waiting list of companies that want it, at least that is the reason they told me why I wouldn't be able to take it to Virgin with me.

Anyway, this leads me to my question(s):

1. Do I own the number, like a mobile phone ?
2. Can I sell it ?
3. Can they really stop me from taking it to virgin ?

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers,

de_deej

intesting question deej,I dont know the answers but what I do know is I took my BT number to TW (virgin)
Im sure there was a legislation where u were allowed number portability to any network u chose,Ill see what I can dig up
might be an idea to ring ur cable provider too,see what they say ;)

check this site out m8

Number portability is a regulated facility which enables subscribers of publicly available telephone services (including mobile services) to change their service provider whilst keeping their existing telephone number. Its purpose is to foster consumer choice and effective competition by enabling subscribers to switch between providers without the costs and inconvenience of changing telephone number.

Love to know what the number is

check this site out m8

Number portability is a regulated facility which enables subscribers of publicly available telephone services (including mobile services) to change their service provider whilst keeping their existing telephone number. Its purpose is to foster consumer choice and effective competition by enabling subscribers to switch between providers without the costs and inconvenience of changing telephone number.

Thanks for this John mate, I am going to have a look now. I will let you know what I find out.

DJ

Hi all,

Just a general enquiry that I am hoping somebody (maybe an employee of BT ;) ) can help me with;

I have a highly sort after BT landline phone number, so much so BT have a waiting list of companies that want it, at least that is the reason they told me why I wouldn't be able to take it to Virgin with me.

2. Can I sell it ?

Cheers,

de_deej

It's called number portability and you can keep it and take it anywhere you like for a cosr.

The answer to your question is no, you cannot sell your telephone number as it is only allocated to you, you do not own it. However if were to relinquish your number (cancel contract/change number) you could notify prospective number wanters "so to speak" of its impending availability..................for a fee!!!!!!!

Hi all,

2. Can I sell it ?

Cheers,

de_deej

get anova number ..lol

Just an update....

After trying to contact ofcom and getting no where, I phoned BT and Virgin again and pretended that ofcom where interested and now they are porting my number over (fingers crossed it all goes well).

Thanks for the pointer Rat :THANKS:

nice one deej :) hope it all goes through :)

Back