can i conect to router instead of using crossover

pothead130

Inactive User
Reaction score
my box should arive soon just need to to can i conect it via the router and can i use it wireless as i have one of those nettoplug thing i never used or will i have to have it wired straight to router

if i can go wireless will it ask for the key i have to enter like i do on my wirless laptop

also where can i find the freq for my area

thanks

i wouldn't like to say on this one mate. i think i would rather just buy a crossover cable from any computer shop and go for the direct connection.

i proberly would do the straight conection but the thing is my main pc is upstairs wired to the router and wireless laptop is don stairs (wireless) where i want to have dreambox

so i readly need a bit of advice which would be best way setup

the network card isnot in use on laptop so could i conect a ethernet lead from dreambox to the network card on laptop?

also im dont realy understand how crossover cable works

thanks everyone

not sure about that mate but you do need a crossover cable to transfer data to the box all you can do is try it but if it doesnt work just go for the direct connection

What about a Wireless Ethernet Bridge. Do not know much about them but they turn any eathernet device into a wireless device and they don’t use drivers so they work with anything eathernet.

One is on ebay item 5835642470.

This is the latest linksys are selling.

h**p://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416826519&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I always do with the router and my wireless notebook, until now no problem, just configured your dreambox network with gateway,dns and propagate services and not problem at all

flash mine through router ok with normal ethernet cable
not tried wireless side yet but have read in a sat forum they can be set up with an wireless ethernet adapter ok

hmmmm, i think it would be ok for flashing and moving small files accross, what if he wants to stream films and mp3s etc ?

pothead130 said:
my box should arive soon just need to to can i conect it via the router and can i use it wireless as i have one of those nettoplug thing i never used or will i have to have it wired straight to router

if i can go wireless will it ask for the key i have to enter like i do on my wirless laptop

thanks

Sorry to say but you wont be able to use a wireless connection for the dreambox, simply because you have no way of setting the wireless networks ssid or providing the wep/wpa key. Unless..

have read in a sat forum they can be set up with an wireless ethernet adapter

You are best to connect if fixed to your router, I'm in the same boat, running up and down the stairs, but even if you could setup for wireless it's still not advisable to try and flash your box over a wireless connection, 1 packet out of sysnc and your box could soon become a brick.

The item bob123123 mentions would be ok for basics but NOT for streaming video it's only 11MBs which would lead to wow & flutter.

It would be easier to setup your dreambox next to your router asnd then use a video sender to your tv, in an average house this would be pretty good quality, unless your a purist....

Look in the Dreambox downloads section for Satchmos Random Info post

Last edited:
looks like i will be moving the router downstairs next to the dreambox then and make desktop pc wireless

do i have to have it connected to pc alltime or only for loading updates ?

thanks everyone for all the info hope it arives tomorrow as dvb-shop24 are very good at delivery

Back