Can anyone suggest a decent android box for gaming?

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I know most people use these boxes for TV but i really want something mobile for both. With releases of stadia/geforce now/xcloud/steam play/moonlight i was trying to see if i could get something useable but still cheaper than buying a laptop.

I was looking for boxes with Adreno 530, Mali-G71 MP20 or Mali-G72 MP12 gpu but finding it hard to see any boxes with these in them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey fus10n you gotta have a look at the nvidia shield. I bought it for iptv mines the 2017 model but i got it on special around black friday for £139 including the gaming controller. These have the same chips as the Nintendo switch and the graphics are fantastic.

Hey fus10n you gotta have a look at the nvidia shield. I bought it for iptv mines the 2017 model but i got it on special around black friday for £139 including the gaming controller. These have the same chips as the Nintendo switch and the graphics are fantastic.

I'm thinking it might have to be one of them as trying to find boxes with the gpu i'd like is proving to be hard!

I will 2nd the nvidia shield.
Best part for me is being able to stream my PC to it.
Can even put it in console mode so i can stream my pc games to the bedtoom tv.

Good bit of kit.

Would either of you be willing to try out some of the apps i mentioned above? the main one being xcloud if you have beta access?

I use "geforce now" alot.
There are a handful of free games you can play, tomb raider, bioshock etc.
You can also pay a monthly sub for more games, think its about £7 a month.
Also use geforce now to stream from my pc.

It all works very well over 5ghz wifi.

I used moonlight once to stream my pc games over the inet when i was away from home. Worked ok but both ends need a fast inet connection.

Meant to say my lad plays forthight on it, not sure if thats steam?

Might be fortnight mobile?
Not sure, ill check when i get chance.
I know you can play Steam games through the PC, if i try to stream a "Steam" game from the pc i have to login to steam.

Not sure, ill check when i get chance.
I know you can play Steam games through the PC, if i try to stream a "Steam" game from the pc i have to login to steam.

I can stream my pc using stream link/moonlight too. I was more wanting it away from home like you can do with geforce now and xcloud. I suppose you do have to own the games on Geforce now and a subscription for both geforce & xcloud too. I had thought about uiing shadow pc where you 'rent' a gaming pc then you can install games and stream it to android devices but still would need a decent android box....

Yeah, i've already used my free trial.....
What was your thoughts on it?
Its been 4 years since i used my trial.

Is it worth it in your opinion?

What was your thoughts on it?
Its been 4 years since i used my trial.

Is it worth it in your opinion?

It was the beta which has now ended. Its great now you can play games without your pc being on, but for best experience you do need a good android device as my phone wasn't up to much! I only really tried it once or twice. You can get a free account, but that only allows 1hour play and you do have to wait a while to play!

@fus10n
Moonlight gaming on Firestick

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Xcloud gaming on Nvidia Shield

@fus10n
Moonlight gaming on Firestick

Xcloud gaming on Nvidia Shield

Thanks. I have tried moonlight on an old laptop running zorin and i was really pleased with it. Looks great on firetv stick too from the video you posted too. All the android boxes I have here will run moolight no problem. The ability to wake the pc up using WoL to play games is a nice feature! I'm just worried if the pc does not switch off then it runs constantly when i'm not here...

The sheild looks like the option to go for, especially for xcloud!, but will wait for a sale. I will buy a cheap android box running Mali g31 mp2 gpu in the meantime as I need a box running a newer version of android so i can test things out for now...

It's been a good while since they reduced the price to £139, I don't thing they have done it after the release of the new Shields. The best deal recently was the one day deal on the Nvidia Shield stick when it dropped to £116 but that was the day before you asked for one.

Update: So i bought one of these to play around with until a shield is affordable
Android 10.0 T95 Android Box 2GB Ram 16GB ROM,Dual WiFi 2.4G +5G Bluetooth 5.0 Allwinner H616 Quad-core 64bit 4K6K Ultra HD 3D H.265

It has a Mali-G31MP2 gpu. I know its not anywhere near as good as the shield but it handles x265 and i beleive for game streaming thats the important part. So far, I have installed xbox game streaming app and had a play with a few xcloud games that are hosted by xbox these being destiny2 and ace combat7. Destiny i felt there was slight lag (could have been my charcters speed/dexterity being low?) but the picture was perfect and not blocky or pixelated at all. Ace combat, i never noticed any lag or image quality. Also tried the other side of the streaming app and streamed my console to the andoid box and apart from a black screen for 40-50 seconds until it connected that worked great too( even away from home). At any rate, i'm not planning on PVPing on it anytime soon.

All in all i'm really happy with this great looking £30 quid box so far but more testing is needed. It will tide me over until i get a shield sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Back