Cable splitters and attenuation

MarkP

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A bit of advice if possible (again!) I'm looking to install an extra Dbox for the bedroom. At the moment, my cable comes in under the floor to an isolator then a two way splitter, way1 to the broadband, way2 to the dbox.

The splitter is a Qamtex unit, which says it has 3dB attenuation. If I add another one of these to the dbox feed, that will therefore be a total of 6dB attenuation to the boxes and will possibly give signal strength problems - I presume?

Has anyone done this another way? The Qamtex 3way splitters have 6dB attenuation, so that doesn't help.

I have considered replacing the isolator with a 2way isolator (which I believe do not attenuate). I could then take isolator way1 to the PC, and isolator way2 to the existing splitter, then use the splitter to feed the two dboxs. This should, I think, maintain the existing 3dB attenuation. How does that sound?

Thanks for reading this far!
Cheers,
MarkP

You can get a normal tee piece for cable feed as theese have no attenuation, so you can add as many as you need ( within reason) with no loss of signal .
Dont know your location, so cant advise local shop to get them,but i think maplins have them.

dunno if this helps , i have 2 way splitter on main feed to house ,this splits to my living room(where i have a dbox) and to bedroom upstairs. in upstairs bedroom i have another 2 way splitter that splits to broadband and another dbox and this works fine with no signal strength loss

Its technical not possible to split a signal without loss of signal strength.

3db attenuation is very low.
I would be more than VERY suprised if a normal TEE piece had less than 3db

To have a connection with no db loss is impossible- That is unless you believe quantum mechanics and super conductors. (LOL)

The secret to keeping the signal strong is to split it as many times as you need where the signal is strongest.
(as close to the isolator as possible)

Thanks for the speedy feedback guys. I'll have a think about all your comments.

Aliens? - yes.
Superconduction at room temperature? - nah.

ATB,
MarkP

There are also amplified splitters on the market if needed.

i split the signal with a two way splitter . one leg dbox other leg to bedroom and old analouge box then split again to kitchen with £7.99 argus signal booster...........all works fine

Back