Cable modem sussed?

mickeydcarper10

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello - I wonder if anyone can help me please?

Since monday, my N*L modem lights are now flashing in a peculiar sequence that I have never seen before and although the PC will connect to the router, I can’t get onto the web/e-mail etc…. I have an AOL Broadband 200 modem that is cloned and has worked ok for about 4 months.

When switching it on, POWER id solid, D/S and ENET are flashing.
After a short while, USB U/S SYNC RDY go solid, then D/S and ENET flash,
then USB U/S SYNC RDY go solid, then D/S and ENET flash. This sequence repeats over and over.

I have connected the pc to the modem via a long Ethernet cable, and can see 1 packet sent and 0 received.

I have had a quick look around an Ntl modem forum, and they seem to point out that dodgy light sequences usually mean that clone modems have been spotted and re-programmed by Ntl.

I know very little about this, so any pointers as to what has happened and how to fix it (are there any tuts I can read) would be very useful.

Is my modem knackered or can I get back to free Internet once again?

Thanks for your help,

M.

it sounds like you modem has been updated with the new firmware restoring the factory default mac address and making it 'imposible?' to change without removing a surface mount chip and reprogramming it with the previous firmware, there are lots of threads on this m8, most ppl with ambits seem to be hit by this.

try logging into your modem, if the web interface page has the ntl logo at the top then it has the new firmware.

How do I log into my modem?

I connected my modem to my pc via a crossed ethernet cable, and tried to access it using Interer Explorer with an IP of 192.128.100.1 but couldn't connect.

Sorry to be a novice but can anyone help please?

Also, is my modem an Ambit 200? It's got AOL Broadband written upon it and that's about it!

you need to connect modem with a normal patch cable

And i dont know if that was a typo but it's 192.168.100.1

Ok, I managed to connect to my modem (thanks for the tips) and sure enough it has the N*L logo at the top of the page.

I have an Ambit ETH/USB cable modem. Is it fixable, or should it now reside in the bin?

Back