Cable feed

hedgehog

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am after some advice on the wiring of the cable modem/ stb

i have a cable modem down stairs a STB box upstairs and downstairs what is the recomended way to split the incoming cable feed?

I would have thought first spliter 1 to cable modem 2 to next spliter 1 upstairs other downstairs, is this correct???????

I am after some advice on the wiring of the cable modem/ stb

i have a cable modem down stairs a STB box upstairs and downstairs what is the recomended way to split the incoming cable feed?

I would have thought first spliter 1 to cable modem 2 to next spliter 1 upstairs other downstairs, is this correct???????

Dont fully understand your question mate ???

Do you mean you have your main cable feed coming into the house then you have a splitter fitted which has 3 outputs ??? if so then it doesnt really matter what wire goes where as the 3 outputs all have same signal level i believe, if this is not what you mean then please give more accurate details and also tell the reason why your concerned what wire goes where anyway ?

cheers .

p.s
if your using multiple splitters and your having some kind of problem then your much better to just have "one" 3 way splitter from main feed and the cables from it going to each device if possible.

Last edited:
I am looking to hide all the wiring under the floor boards, at the moment the main cable feed is feed into a 2 way splitter, one feed upstairs one feed downstairs, the feed down stairs has another 2 way splitter one for the STB the other for the cable modem.
3 options.

option 1 use a three way splitter

option 2 1st split to cable modem and splitter then another splitter to to 2 STB ( 1 upstairs 1 downstairs)

option 3 leave alone??

I think option 2 will give me the best signal to the cable modem?

you need to buy the splitter , then make sure u have the correct ends on crappy satalite screw ends will only cut your signal , the best way to split it would be from your out side box on the wall if split more than twice. wire it all up make sure each feed is working with a cable box or modem on the end of it @ the same time , check ur signal on ur cable boxes , through the engineers menu.if 29 , 30 + ur signal should be ok , but bare in mind if some body new goes on to cable in your street you , might be moved down the cab , so you need to be aware before hiding all ur cables out of site.
regards biffo

i'd give my modem the strongest line cos i reckon they hog it sometimes (could be wrong)
then i'd splite the other output to the 2 set-top boxes. But i'd also pull a TW or NTL guy over and ask em for some cable to help u out! Some of them will be nice and say ya np, some wont, some will be your best friend for £10-£20.

Use the least amount of splitters if possible.

I'd do it this way...

Main Feed
\|/
3-Way Splitter
\|/ooooo\|/ooooooo\|/
STB1---Modem------STB2

Modems arn't too fussy about singal/SNR's compaired with STB/Dbox/Dreambox.

Last edited:
Back