cable/dsl router

play944

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys but could anyone possibly help with some advice, i have just bought a laptop with wifi, and am currently using another system which is connected straight to a ntl broadband modem(ethernet). can any of you advise as to what i need to use the laptop from the same connection, as when i asked in a shop the sales guy showed me a hand full of different things. routers, usb adapters etc. being fairly new to this i do tend to overspend and overcomplicate things thanks to sales advice. but thanks to some of the stickies i think i just need a router as the laptop searches for a wifi connection when i switch it on, if correct or incorrect could someone please advise as to which router i would be best off with, or other options, sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm sick of being ripped off by salesmen.

any advise greatly appreciated

p.s the laptop will be used quite infrequently

wifi dongle should do it goes in usb port on your pc then laptop will connect through the pc i think.

All u need is a wireless router, your best choices are Dlink, Linksys or netgear. 3 of the best in my opinion Dlink more favoured ;) if its not going to be used alot then go for a cheapish one about £30-£40 will do the job once you set the router up follow the wireless connection instructions on the router. once thats done all u do is switch on the wifi on your laptop and itll find your wireless network, connnct to it, depending on what security settings you chose in the set up it may prompt you for a 'key' enter that in and youre done! the laptop will connect to your router and you wil then be able to surf the net and create a network so u can share stuff between ur PC and lappy!

This will sound like jibberish until u actually get the router so dont worry if u dont understand it all just yet.

Thanks for the advice guys, i think i will follow the router approach, as the the kids are looking to have the xbox360 on line as well.
thanks again

get the belkin wireless router for ntl from pc world

wireless router its dead easy to set up ,comes with a disc

you set up ypur modem (ntl)the wireless router and a home pc first when setting up it gives you a password and a user name you can change these
when this is set up you turn on your laptop and it should find the router and ask for permission to access , simple you have the pasword and and username
simple . then buy another wireless connection by belkin the usb type {a kind of areial } and take the computer (home) away from the ntl and belkin router and use this as a wireless comp on your home network : bat :

Back