Buying from the states?

damaan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Another question:Yikes: Is it worth buying a new laptop from the states. I noticed that even with shipping included, laptops are c.a. £100-150 cheaper. Is this 'risky' incase that laptop goes wrong as the warrenty my not be worldwide? Would I to pay import duty? Has anyone bought from the states - there are some highly recommended companies selling high spec laptops much cheaper than the UK.
Thanks.:THANKS:

Some of the bigger companies offer worldwide warranty (I know Dell do). Yes you could stung for Tax which will pretty much wipe out any saving. Don't forget that you will get a US keyboard instead of UK one.

Another question:Yikes: Is it worth buying a new laptop from the states. I noticed that even with shipping included, laptops are c.a. £100-150 cheaper. Is this 'risky' incase that laptop goes wrong as the warrenty my not be worldwide? Would I to pay import duty? Has anyone bought from the states - there are some highly recommended companies selling high spec laptops much cheaper than the UK.
Thanks.:THANKS:

you will have to pay the duty on any laptop coming into our country i got stung i got a cam from the states and there keeped it at post office untill i went and paid the duty that was 85 pounds extra

You would have to pay the duty on the value of the goods plus the shipping cost. Also if your sellers shipper were to use someone like parcelforce as their agent then you would also be subject to a handling charge from parcelforce.

Computers and laptops are free of import duty, but subject to import VAT at 17.5%.

As techquest says, postage and insurance are also subject to VAT. Delivery insurance can also be subject to duty from certain places.

Back