Buying car from abroad ? Dodgy or Scam ???

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

Seen a car on Autotrader at a very good price but the contact No. does not work. Emailed the guy and got the reply below -

Hi, the car is still available, as you've seen in the ad the price is £14.000,
the car has full history service, excellent condition, accident free, has no
damage, no scratches, recently serviced in Feb '08 MOT'd until Feb '09 Taxed
until Sept '08. It is an UK car (not an import), under UK number plates and it
has full UK. I bought it from NAAFI at a very good price which I too reduced
substantially for a quick sale. The car is located in Madrid, Spain and so am
I, but I believe this shouldn't be a problem as I can have the car delivered
back to the UK. Email me back if you are still interested.

This sounds very dodgy to me ?

Anyone got any comments on it, is it a known scam ??

Shall i say i can view it as i have relatives in Valencia or something ??

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm sure there was a similar scam posted here about a couple of years ago.

if you cant see what your buying then dont bid or buy like others said sounds bad

sounds very dody mate, be very careful or just steer away from it... With patience, you'll probably find just a good one, or one even better..

can you not get a data cheq on said car or some kind of report saying if he has or is owner of car .if not would not even bother at all .

Checks or not I wouldnt bother - why go to the trouble of buying a car thats located in Spain!! With the credit crunch there are plenty of good quality cars going cheap over here at the moment!!

scam scam scam

i came across similar when i was looking for a car via autotrader

deffo a scam mate, see my mates focus st3 for sale a few weeks ago on ebay... an that was in poland... eventhough car was sat outside mine at the time !

Stay away mate and find one you can see and test drive.

Yea deffo a scam at that price, anyway been toying with him, told him had relatives in Valencia who can view it. Reply below -

Hi, I have the car at a local carriers ready for the delivery back to UK. I
know that the distance is a major inconvenient and in order to have a quick and
secure transaction I am proposing the payment to be held by a third party until
the car is delivered, but if you wish to send the relatives to come and view
the car I have no problem, let me know that you decide.

......Lol

Brittish forces me,bers can buy cars from the Naafi abroad in the likes of germany and cypruss etc, however if u did return car to the UK you will pay all relevant taxes on it.

I dunno about british bases in spain or why the car is there if there is a car.

just to let u know basically if it not a scam you would be liable for import tax etc.

Brittish forces me,bers can buy cars from the Naafi abroad in the likes of germany and cypruss etc, however if u did return car to the UK you will pay all relevant taxes on it.

I dunno about british bases in spain or why the car is there if there is a car.

just to let u know basically if it not a scam you would be liable for import tax etc.

You wont need import tax if it was brought by someone in the forces and kept out the country for 6 months. i was in forces and brought my car in Germany. when i came back to uk i just needed to register it and tax it. no extra taxes.

yeah your spot on forgot about that, think that works with any vehical too, mind seeing a top gear years ago, they bought a car in france just parked it in street for months b4 bringing it over here for the not to pay the tax.

Back