Buying a new camera.

Bicbiro

Banned
Reaction score
I want a new camera. I have a Fuji s9500 it's a couple of years old but I have never been that happy with it, there is too much messing about to get a good shot.
It turns out I am not that good at photography and I look like a penis walking about with a masive camera on holiday, I think I would be better off with a good point and shoot camera instead.

I was thinking about the Canon Powershot G9 The reviews seem good. Does anyone have one or sugest something better. I like this one because of the 12.1 mega pixels and the 6X optical zoom

Have you considered a DLSR? I shoot with the Nikon D40x and it is a fantastic camera. I upgraded from a Fuji S7000 and found this so much easier to use.

I'd opt for a camera that 'helps' you take a better photo in the form of a great UI with idiot proof menus.

Point and shooters don't always deliver great shots in varied situations although for ease of use and form factor they are difficult to beat. Unless you plan on blowing your photos up or playing around with them in the name of art a point and shooter make be right for you.

Check out [DLMURL]http://www.dpreview.com[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you buy, don't be swayed by megapixel count. That's strictly for the mug punters. The type of image sensor and the quality of the lens is much more important.

Munkey, I did consider an SLR but most of the time I just take photos when I’m out and about on holiday etc I don’t really need or use the extra function of the one I’ve got.

You make a good point about ease of use I think in my case point and shoot is the way to go.

Nara, I know what you mean about the mega pixel count I’ve seen some of the cheap cameras that boast high pixels but are rubbish, my mother has one and it takes some awful shots, I can't remember the name of it, probably something like SORNY or OLYMPIC or NIKRON lol.

The Canon Powershot G9 I was looking at, does it have a good lens and image sensor?

Bic...

I have a Fuji finepix F50, I must of been one of the mug punters because it's a 12mega pixel camera but for £125 it takes some of the best Pictures I have ever seen and has some nice touches such as face recognition

http://www.camerabox

At dpreview the negatives of the G9 are

Purple fringing & Chromatic Aberrations (jaggies)
Exposure / Dynamic range / clipping (black or white being crushed)
Noisy Low Light Performance ~ISO800 (poor images in dark situations)

Aside from the negatives above it really does seem like a fine camera. I would definitely play with one in Jessops. Make sure you play around with the grip as its meant to be difficult to hold and control with one hand which kind sucks big time if true.

My wife uses the SD1100 and I think the build quality is pretty poor with some parts feeling loose already.

edit - just read my own post and it seems quite negative for a great camera LOL.

Seriously mate, what are you going to do with 12.1 mega pixel?

Are you thinking of posting your pictures on the side of a Sky Scraper?

Naras advice is spot on.

:)

At dpreview the negatives of the G9 are

Purple fringing & Chromatic Aberrations (jaggies)
Exposure / Dynamic range / clipping (black or white being crushed)
Noisy Low Light Performance ~ISO800 (poor images in dark situations)

Aside from the negatives above it really does seem like a fine camera. I would definitely play with one in Jessops. Make sure you play around with the grip as its meant to be difficult to hold and control with one hand which kind sucks big time if true.

My wife uses the SD1100 and I think the build quality is pretty poor with some parts feeling loose already.

edit - just read my own post and it seems quite negative for a great camera LOL.

I read some of the reviews for the G9 and the FinePix F100fd seems a good alternative not that I know what those faults are or how important they are.

I made a bad choice last time and I appreciate the advice from you guys in the hope that I buy a good camera that suits my ability and needs.

Bic...

The Fuji Finepix and Nikkon Coolpix will fit your criteria well, out of the two I prefer the Nikkon.

I use Canon DSLRs

However, I bought a Panasonic Lumix for someone to take on holiday.
They are brilliant cameras and fit easily in your pocket. Priced between £90 - £200 depending on model but they are all good.

My daughter bought a Samsung (not sure of the model) but it cost about £129. O.ut of the box the thing is crap compared to either the Nikkon or Fuji

I bought a Nikon to replace my dodgy Fuji POC, and the Nikon was awful... The shutter speed (?) was woeful, I'd take a picture of my nipper, but by the time it actually decided to take the shot, he was out of the picture or on the peripheral... I took it back two days later and got my money back....

No idea if the Nikon was faulty, or if it was naturally like that.

I'm still using the Fuji 5mp for now, but the screen is developing problems, so I've got to change it soon.

Sorry to be SO Blunt!---But if you CAN't use the Fuji you got now, You won't be able to use any other camera Either...Learn to use what you got..That's a Good Camera you got there.

I bought a Nikon to replace my dodgy Fuji POC, and the Nikon was awful... The shutter speed (?) was woeful, I'd take a picture of my nipper, but by the time it actually decided to take the shot, he was out of the picture or on the peripheral... I took it back two days later and got my money back....

No idea if the Nikon was faulty, or if it was naturally like that.

I'm still using the Fuji 5mp for now, but the screen is developing problems, so I've got to change it soon.

Either a dodgy camera mate or you've set it up wrong :)

Wife brought me the fuji s9600 for xmas and its a fantastic camera, as easy to use just set to auto or as complicated as you want when you learn with it

Wife brought me the fuji s9600 for xmas and its a fantastic camera, as easy to use just set to auto or as complicated as you want when you learn with it

See that’s just the thing, learning to use it, these ISO & F numbers just mead nothing to me and when to use what setting in a mystery. I take shots in several different modes and some do come out great but I can never remember which setting worked.

I have had a few different cameras. A Fuji M603 and after that a Kodak Z740 both of which were great I think I have over estimated my needs from a digital camera with this one.

I think ScarecrowDR is correct point and shoot will suit my talent or lack of it.

Someone on eBay will get a bargain.

Bic...

See that’s just the thing, learning to use it, these ISO & F numbers just mead nothing to me and when to use what setting in a mystery. I take shots in several different modes and some do come out great but I can never remember which setting worked.

I have had a few different cameras. A Fuji M603 and after that a Kodak Z740 both of which were great I think I have over estimated my needs from a digital camera with this one.

I think ScarecrowDR is correct point and shoot will suit my talent or lack of it.

Someone on eBay will get a bargain.

Bic...

The newer SLR's have a great almost tutorial like user interface. Here is an example of my cameras UI

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40X/page8.asp

Check out the animations in the middle of the page. This camera gives graphical illustrations of what settings need to be used for the perfect picture.

So if you want to learn about photography you can buy a camera that will help you learn about the more advanced settings with ease. If you want to just point and shoot I'd consider any budget camera as most small lens give very average or poor low light performance. Even my crappy Sony Ericsson 2MP gives great images in the outdoors.

I want a new camera. I have a Fuji s9500 it's a couple of years old but I have never been that happy with it, there is too much messing about to get a good shot.
It turns out I am not that good at photography and I look like a penis walking about with a masive camera on holiday, I think I would be better off with a good point and shoot camera instead.

I was thinking about the Canon Powershot G9 The reviews seem good. Does anyone have one or sugest something better. I like this one because of the 12.1 mega pixels and the 6X optical zoom

hi mate i got a g7 and a g9 very good bit of kit lets put it this way i will never get rid of them love every think about them. as for a good lens and image sensor one of the best in its class and the lens has got i.s.
your never look back.

Either a dodgy camera mate or you've set it up wrong :)

I'll go for the former, if that's ok... ;)

It was only a point and shoot, (S200, IIRC) and it was shite the minute it came out of the box... Checked the manual for clues, but nothing, so gave up and got the money back for another day...

Surprising though, because they do have a great name I believe...?

I have a year old D80 for sale :banana:

Just thought I would throw that in there just in the off chance :proud:

Back