Buying a convertible - need advice from anyone in the know.

digicol

Inactive User
Reaction score
North East England, but nowhere near Dutcho!!! Ba
I am thinking of getting a cheap MGF (around 1999-2001ish). Maybe buying in early August for the late summer we usually get which gives me time to save some more pennies.

I have done some looking around and have seen a lot of ads state they have had the gaskets done and the heads skimmed. So I assume this is a common problem?

These cars go for very cheap considering what you get for your money, that is the reason why I am looking at them.

Anyone in the know, any mechanics out there or anyone with any into or even had one of these? Can anyone shed somne light as to what I am should be looking for, as In what mileage do the heads usually go on them? And is it a good sign to get one with say 80,000 miles and a full receipty for a new head gasket and skim along with other small jobs done, at least then I know it has been renewed yeah?, or should I be lloking for one with less miles and no work done as I will not do more than 3k per year.

Also a good thing (I think) is a lot of these motors seem to come with full service history, and yet the prices seem to stay around £2-£3 for a good one at a decent youngish age. Maybe T-X reg.

Also what is this VVC engine or whatever it is? Is this the one to go for, does this suffer from the dodgy head gasket syndrome or do they all suffer this?

Cheers for any advice guys.

Last edited:
I am no mechanic, but I was interested after you said they were so cheap.

From a quick look on wikipedia, it seems like they have consistent head gasket problems as well as cooling problems for the engine itself.

I took a look on ebay, and the prices are comparable to the MX5.

Take my advice Do not buy until you have had a quote from a garage to replace the head gasket and one to replace the head !!!! after doing that way up the fact that ya cant genuinely tell if its been done on the car your buying if its due to go or if it has been done is it done right or will it fail again then while you there ask for a price on fitting a clutch and just ask the garage owner if he wants to buy on from ya !!! hahahah

Then get a mx5 or eunos roadster ie a jap import the are bullet proof bits are cheap and available
there great fun and cost nothing to insure even the jap ones ...
and less rust also its a rover wen all said and done no wonder there cheap as chips bud !!! fac all works in them by the time there a year or two old ...

Also a good thing (I think) is a lot of these motors seem to come with full service history, and yet the prices seem to stay around £2-£3 for a good one at a decent youngish age. Maybe T-X reg.

£3? If the headgasket does fail then buy yourself another one :Clap::Cheers:

Back