Buying a car

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any dealings buying a Honda Civic ?. I'm looking at 2 and I'm not sure which is the better option, both older cars. One is a 1.8 v-tec the other a 2.2 diesel both similar age and mileage 100k.

no car buff but I think the v-tec is a timing chain

Brother has had one since 2008 never had any real issues.

My bro is a big fan of Honda's, he has owned several. he always professes that they are ultra-reliable, never go wrong, nothing ever fails....
However, I am more .... cynical (maybe).... if people think they go on forever, isn't there a chance that servicing etc can get neglected "because they go on forever".
I'd be looking for a service history, and altho they are both getting on a bit and may not have the stamps in the book, is there a wad of receipts for stuff? The absence of such doesn't mean nothing has been done, but if they do have a few things that's a good sign... e.g. like the clutch as MH says.

Earlier this week on the road i saw a very smokey 2011 civic OMG-neglect.Regular servicing with oil and filter changes makes all the difference and checking oil level.

I changed oil and filter on my space wagon 2001 and ordered mobil esp and the look at the expression on his face for using this oil,no noisy tappets and better performance from engine and sparkling clean inside when viewing into cam box. :eek: 😂

Forgot to add looking at colour of dipstick can reveal more than one thinks,dirty black=dont give a feck!, clean is good.

Last edited:
I had a 2.7 litre Honda Oddesey when living abroad. It was a 7 seater and i loved that car but by god it drank fuel. It used to cost me $100 dollers a week in fuel goint to work. then bought a 1.3 toyota ist and the fuel bill for the same drive was $60 dollers. I sold the oddesey on but the family kept the Ist. Is still running great now.

Back