Building new PC Help needed

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys heres the story, i've built literally hundreds of PC's but never actually built a pentium PC, always been AMD's. This is the first pentium i've touched and already its p*ssing me off lol

I've put everything together, its a Pentium D 2.8ghz 1gb RAM and 250GB HDD, Abit mobo. When I go to install Windows XP, it goes to the bit when its installing drivers at around 37 percent and will freeze, sometimes freezes at 36 or even 34 percent sometimes before that. BUT sometimes it freezes for about 2 second then goes to the blue screen of death. i've taken out the memory modules and tested them and they are fine. taken the processor out put it back in. i've also tried to free up all the cables inside so air circulation is good and tried installing without the case on. after leaving the computer on for a while i've quickly restarted it and went to bios to check the cpu temp and its around 45 to 55 degrees, is this normal for a pentium? (also tried a few different xp disks)
any suggestions would be of great help.

sounds like its deffo hardwear most probably the mobo m8 , i wouldnt be to concernd about the temp at that, in fact i will eat my hat if a new mobo dont sort it out , cant think of anyway you can test it though ,, will just have to send it back , if possible

If you send it back and its not broke you will get charged if its not broke unless you bought it in a shop and can take it back, if you know anyone with a vista disc I would try to install that on it to see if it is a hardware fault because vista has all the drivers you should need including the s-ata ones.

i had a problem just like yours and it was down to the xp i was installing make sure its latest version with sp2 and all should be ok worked for me

Sounds like its your cd burner mate or its the XP disk as siad thats no good.

Windows disks are no good being burnt with crap nero or esay cd, you need CLONE CD soft and then its allways best to burn the disk at 2 speed no more.

Get a good copy of xp or me and try again.

Have Fun.

Windows disks are no good being burnt with crap nero or esay cd, you need CLONE CD soft and then its allways best to burn the disk at 2 speed no more.

Have Fun.

Have to disagree with this m8. I only use Nero and burn at 32x and higher speeds, never had 1 problem with any XP install discs.

Is the PSU new in the intel machine? Can it handle the hardware? It could be falling over....

Have you tried running memtest from a bootable disc?

everything is new mate. i've installed xp now (you guys were right, cheers for that, needed new disc) but computer crashes every 5 minutes now. it just freezes. PSU is 450watt ezcool. No blue screen tho.

only time ive ever seen this it was the cpu fan that wasnt properly seated, would get so far into installation then bsd ,maybe worth checking

Its installed alright now no bsod. i noticed i had the psu in upside down. changed that now, fingers crossed, see what happens.

Have Fun.

LOL Nero is one of the best burning apps out there.

The problem could be down to faulty motherboard/RAM or it could be a bad burn. Just a case of trial and error.

its not a bad burn of xp disc cos i used it to instal loads with that disc also tried different discs. i use nero to burn but whenever i burn an xp disc i always use roxio as its the best for doing bootable discs. i mean bootable as in without changing bios settings to make cd boot first.

Sounds like you have a weak component in there...

Just finding out where.....

Take ALL uneeded PCI cards out. Could you try another GPU?

What temps are detected in BIOS? Is the CPU showing the correct speed in POST?

Back