Building a new PC, What CPU????

Erazor786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all, Looking to build a new PC as my current one is absolutely knackered (had it going on 3 years).

Looking to spend around £400 - £450.

I'm kinda stuck on which processor to choose and whether to go for a high end Dual Core or a relative lower end Quad Core. And of course the old problem of AMD or Intel?

I've been looking at these to processors at the moment and just thought if i could get some help from some of the more knowledgeable folk here on DW.

AMD Phenom™ 9950 Black Edition, Socket AM2+, 2.6GHz, 4MB Cache, 125W, Retail

AMD Phenom II X4 920, Deneb Core, S AM2+, 2.8GHz, 8MB Total Cache, FSB/HT 2000MHz, 125W, Retail

Those are the 2 im considering but are they any others out there in similar price range offering more bang for my buck?

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Thanks for the post mate, ive read about that processor and have thought about it. My mate built one of them not too long ago.

Just looking at other processors and other options in that price range. I read that apparently the 9950 Black Edition is a superior chip to the Q6600.

I just got a phenom trip core 8450, new mobo and 4gb of corsair xms dhx mem for about 160, bought an artic cooler heat pipe cooler a few days later for 17 (since stock is OK but would not oc with it). Clocked from 2.1 to 2.6ghz on stock volts, max temp reached is 42C on full load using prime95 for 6 hours, and played bf2 aix for about 2 hours later with 63 bots, not a jitter in sight,could go higher but happy with that at the moment.

If you are into serious gaming, you still want Intel and if you cannot afford the i7 price tags you want to go for the E8400/8500/8600 over both the Q6600 and the two AMD's you looked at: Compare Intel Core 2 Duo E8600, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black (AMD's 920 is not available for comparison.)

If you really want to go AMD I'd actually suggest the 940 Black Edition for £190.77: HDZ940XCGIBOX - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition, Deneb, S AM2+, 3.0GHz, 8MB Total Cache, HT 2000MHz, 125W, Retail - Scan.co.uk

Regardless of CPU brand I agree with daveleebond on getting an afterstock cooler should you intend overclocking (in fact even if you don't intend overclocking). Though I'd suggest something like the Thermalright True Black 120 with 2x Noctua 120mm fans in a push pull arrangement.
ThermalRight: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online - Scan.co.uk
120mm Noctua fans: NF-S12-1200 - 120mm Noctua NF-S12 1200 RPM Quiet Case Fan - Scan.co.uk

Last edited:
Thanks alot for that detailed post Pob.

I'm not really into gaming so i think that is really out the question, though i may play the occasional game here and there.

i really just want something that is pretty powerful if i do decide to use the multiple cores, and something that gives me bang for my buck.

This is where im kinda stuck on decided which processor to get.

Edit: I did have a look at the 940 BE but its a bit too expensive, but i may consider it, if it is really that good.

Last edited:
Thanks alot for that detailed post Pob.

I'm not really into gaming so i think that is really out the question, though i may play the occasional game here and there.

i really just want something that is pretty powerful if i do decide to use the multiple cores, and something that gives me bang for my buck.

This is where im kinda stuck on decided which processor to get.

So what is the primary role for the PC,what apps do you use daily or in need of.

If Your like me and want everything for nothing lol....look at how long you want this pc to do what you want it too, as if you want to keep up with the jones,s then you have to pay top dollar......i was going to go for a q6600 as it has very good reviews..then i found it it was 18 months + old i thought no it cant be , but it is......as you know i went for the core i7........ but im hoping it will give me a fair few years of use. i paid the xtra to try and future proof my purchase....i dont want to be upgrading within the next couple of years.....but you never know whats gonna happen in this industry....

so id ask yourself if a compromise is worth it for the time being or saving up the extra to get what you really want.....

So what is the primary role for the PC,what apps do you use daily or in need of.

Well, i use alot of programs, ive always got a video converting, something downloading via torrents or recently started using newsgroups.

The problem is that with my ancient set-up, ive got used to the fact I've got limited processing ability has led me to not use that many progs at once and cut down what i uses

Once i get the new system ill most definitely be making the most out of it, wont just be lying there.

@ terminator2k2, lol i am like you, i want everything for nothing! (who doesn't???)

Like you, to some extent i want to have a future proof PC, something i dont need to upgrade in the next 2 yrs atleast, thats why im not going for any of the Dual Core's (i think, nowhere near making my mind up) and thinking of going for the Quad Core's.

Hope the above makes sense or helps.

And thanks to all that have posted!!

Video converting you want quad core.

In your price range (<£160?) I'd go for the Q6600.

Thats what im leaning towards i think aswell. Seems like the sensible option at the moment. Someone else told me to look for the Q9950, but the problem is it retails at £220+.

i dont mine going near enough £200 for a processor as long as it is worth the money and is really good.

Little_Pob, if i was to go for the AMD Phenom II 940, am i right in saying that i would need DDR 3 ram?

No, AMD don't use DDR3 yet, the cheaper DDR2 is what you need. And just get DDR2 800 (PC2-6400), the few frames a second difference the DDR2 1066 makes isn't worth the extra.

DDR3 is only used by Intel on some of their later LGA775 socketed chipsets and the new X58/i7 chipsets (socket LGA1366).

AMD are not going DDR3 until the AM3 processors launch (they where supposed to be out in Jan).

Last edited:
No, AMD don't use DDR3 yet, the cheaper DDR2 is what you need. And just get DDR2 800 (PC2-6400), the few frames a second difference the DDR2 1066 makes isn't worth the extra.

DDR3 is only used by Intel on some of their later LGA775 socketed chipsets and the new X58/i7 chipsets (socket LGA1366).

AMD are not going DDR3 until the AM3 processors launch (they where supposed to be out in Jan).

Lol, after posting, i realised that it wasn't the case.

Right, I've been doing some more reading and have started to lean towards the AMD Phenom II 940.

What do you think of that processor? It seems to be getting some really good reviews and seems to perform well compared to its Intel Counterparts.

Do u think this would be a good board for the above processor?

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, AMD 790GX, AM2+, PCI-E 2.0x16, DDR2 1066/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX - Scan.co.uk

EDIT: Thanks for all the help being provided.

And apologise for my dumbness:silly:

do you know anyone with a phenom II .?

i dont know much about them so i cant really say how good/bad they are compared to intel quads.....

but for £200 you could get:

either phenom II 920 or 940

intel : q6600 2.4 , q9400 2.66

price is dependant on where you buy.....also i would say dont be fooled by buying overclocked chips that will cost more as stock chips should be just as over clockable using correct settings....

the world is your oyster lol......

also ive always brought gigabyte main boards...dont know why though lol......

always seemed to be good value for money.....

also your budget depends on what you have got to purchase..

is it just , motherboard , cpu ,ram ..?? or graphics aswell.? or case , psu .?

Last edited:
Bit-tech review of the 920 and 940 Phenom II's: bit-tech.net | Review - AMD Phenom II X4 940 and 920 CPUs

Not keen on Gigabyte. Used to be a popular brand, but a few years ago you got the same if not better build quality and more features for same price.

However, the mATX version of that board is recommended by the guys over at bit-tech.net. And the Asus version of the same chipset and southbridge is £15 more: Asus M3A79-T Deluxe, AMD 790FX, SAM2+, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR2 1066/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX - Scan.co.uk

Last edited:
get a phenom II and some LH2 cooling and you could get up to 6.5Ghz!!!

Lol i don't think im going to go that extreme, but i think i've made my mind up and im going for the Phenom II 940. Now i think it's time to decide what Mobo, Memory, Power Supply and Graphics Card

For RAM I like Corsair. Unless you plan serious overclocking stick with DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) and just go for a low latency speed (i.e. CL4).

Mobo; most who build their own PCs have their favourite brands (mine is currently Asus), so check features, check reviews.

Graphics; grab an nVidia 9800GTX or ATI HD4850, both be had for for under £130. They offer similar performance to each other so get which is ever cheaper on the day. Both will render most rececent games with playable to decent frame rates on medium if not high settings.

PSU; buy a branded 80+ from the likes of Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax etc. With the above GFx cards you want at least a 450W.

For RAM I like Corsair. Unless you plan serious overclocking stick with DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) and just go for a low latency speed (i.e. CL4).

Mobo; most who build their own PCs have their favourite brands (mine is currently Asus), so check features, check reviews.

Graphics; grab an nVidia 9800GTX or ATI HD4850, both be had for for under £130. They offer similar performance to each other so get which is ever cheaper on the day. Both will render most rececent games with playable to decent frame rates on medium if not high settings.

PSU; buy a branded 80+ from the likes of Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax etc. With the above GFx cards you want at least a 450W.

Thanks alot for the help mate.

I'll be having a butchers and ill see what i find.

I'll post back with what ive decided.

Rep Added Pob. Top Bloke:Clap::Clap:

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!:flame:

Been doing some reading etc and im now thinking about the Q6600.

Very good processor, and overclocks like a dream.

I'm pulling my hair out over here!!!!!

Don't know whether to stick to the Phenom II 940 or go for the older (much older!) yet a very good Q6600!

Some advice people?

Sorry to be such a pain in the ass!:Jester:

Back