Budget CCTV required

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

A friend of mine is needing some cheap as chips cctv. He doesn't have internet. He needs just some cheap camera with the ability to record somehow.
Any advice welcome.

Cheers Dar :)

I'm thinking that a dashcam (with a 12v power supply) may be the way to go?
Does anyone know how many hours can be recorded on a SD memory card? Need about 10.

:)

I have a cheap IP CCTV cam, it records onto an SD card. The biggest problem is that to monitor it you need to sign up to a Chinese website, and it sends the video/audio to that and you can log in with any internet connected device.

A dash camera would most likely be recording all the time, although some of the more expensive ones have parking mode where they detect motion.

Depending on the quality of recording you can get over 10 hours on a 128gb SD card.

Instead of a dashcam you could get a cheap action camera (gopro clone). I got a Furibee action cam from gearbest for £15 inc delivery. It's quite good and can be setup as a dashcam IE record on power on. It only records in 1080p or lower but records better than any dashcam I've had with a good wide angle lens and a LCD screen on the back.

I've used it on my dash too to record a journey.

It works with any USB power supply, which is easier to hook up than a 12v supply as you can use any phone charger or computer. But it also has a rechargeable replaceable battery which lasts for around 60 mins.

F80 1080P HD Action Camera - $18.99 Free Shipping|GearBest.com

I also got one for £10 more that records in 2k (4k interpolated) and has wifi so you can monitor it with any phone/tablet. I use it on the top of a remote control buggy for FPV cat chasing.

Q6 WiFi 4K Ultra HD Action Sport Camera - $29.99 Free Shipping|GearBest.com

I should also add that both camera come with a crap ton of gopro style mounts and a waterproof case. A dashcam would not be waterproof or have any waterproof cases.

Cheers for the suggestions :)

He just needs it for his back yard. Used to dabble in scrap metal, and still does a bit. But when he's in work, the local gypos come over his fence and help themselves lol.
He has a mobile phone, but as for pc's/ internet, he's a bit too long in the tooth. Thanks again :)

Cheers for the suggestions :)

He just needs it for his back yard. Used to dabble in scrap metal, and still does a bit. But when he's in work, the local gypos come over his fence and help themselves lol.
He has a mobile phone, but as for pc's/ internet, he's a bit too long in the tooth. Thanks again :)

I suggest the cheaper of the 2 action cameras, inside a window overlooking the yard. Use a cheap USB phone charger for power. Set the camera into dashcam mode with looping recording @ 720p and a 64gb SD card. He will get around 16-18 hours before the videos will get wiped. The camera comes with plenty of mounts so he can just stick it on the window or frame.

I suggest the cheaper of the 2 action cameras, inside a window overlooking the yard.
No deterrent if the camera is hidden. Recording won't get the goods back or result in a successful prosecution against "the local gypos", the Police prefer to keep their distance where possible.
The only way to stop them is to have nothing in his yard worth stealing.

As you have asked for cctv I would suggest getting 4 channel dvr seem cheap bundles on on ebay and amazon

OWSOO 4Channel CCTV Camera System, 4x Indoor CCTV Dome Cameras,with CCTV BNC Cable Plug and Play,IR-CUT Night Vision, QR Code Scan Remote Access,NO HDD 4 Channel CCTV System;QR Code Scan, Easy DIY, Quick Remote Access https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXDAYHA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_amS8AbFE5MEHR

Will need a hard drive to record.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back