bt voyager 2091 wireless router

blackj90

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys

was just looking to know if thsi could be done and if could, how would i go about it.

i have a bt voyager 2091 wireless adsl router, what i want to know is the following:

is it possible to use this adsl router as an acess point for a *** 250 which i am aware is dsl, im only looking to send my current dsl connection through the wireless aspect of the router, not using the adsl modem at all so to speak, just the wireless?

is it possible?

have seen a few threads on it but nothing ctoo clear as to wether or not it can be done.

apologies if this is a daft question! lol

kindest regards!!

Last edited:
are you able to disable the router on this device? On many ADSL routers you can simply turn it off.

You may be able to use it as a DHCP passthough as well, pointint directly at your main router.

are you able to disable the router on this device? On many ADSL routers you can simply turn it off.

You may be able to use it as a DHCP passthough as well, pointint directly at your main router.

Hi again kary

not sure about if i can turn of the routing aspect of the modem as of yet,

can you explain more about using it as a dhcp passthrough,

what would this involve, would it go something like plugging my dsl modem into and ethernet port in the back of the adsl modem and setting it up as an access point through the wireless,

apologies if im not making mush sense, this is the first time i have tried anything like this lol

many thanks for the quick reply,

regards, J!

Basically, if this device supports it, you may be able to let all DHCP request passthrough this to your actual DHCP server on your main router. It may make things a little more stable if you are planning to use it to set up a WLAN.

I may be telling you something you already know here, but DHCP is the server that dishes out your IP addresses for you automatically, preventing you from assigning one to each device manually. If the BT device supports it, you simply tell it to behave as a DHCP passthrough and input the IP address of your router. This will now relay all DHCP requests to your router.

Physically, all you need to do is connect the BT device to your DSL router and that should be that.

If you are able to disable the router on the BT device, then it should just act as a WLAN access point - just adding WLAN to your existing LAN.

Basically, if this device supports it, you may be able to let all DHCP request passthrough this to your actual DHCP server on your main router. It may make things a little more stable if you are planning to use it to set up a WLAN.

I may be telling you something you already know here, but DHCP is the server that dishes out your IP addresses for you automatically, preventing you from assigning one to each device manually. If the BT device supports it, you simply tell it to behave as a DHCP passthrough and input the IP address of your router. This will now relay all DHCP requests to your router.

Physically, all you need to do is connect the BT device to your DSL router and that should be that.

If you are able to disable the router on the BT device, then it should just act as a WLAN access point - just adding WLAN to your existing LAN.

thankskary,

just trying to get my head round this,

so i need to enable device to support dhcp passthrough if it allows it, once done should it be straightforward enough to setup the wireless aspect?

also how would i go about physically connecting this together,

eg, cable modem rj45 to 2091 modem? if this is the case, will any of the 4 rj45 ports on the 2091 work with this or will i have to set this up manually?

again kary many thanks for your help, and patience lol

regards, J!

Setting it up as a wireless access point isnt dependant on it having the DHCP passthrough option. If it doesnt have this, you will need to disable the DCHP server on the BT device as you do not want two DHCP servers on your network.

Have you been able to check out the setup pages yet for the BT device?

Setting it up as a wireless access point isnt dependant on it having the DHCP passthrough option. If it doesnt have this, you will need to disable the DCHP server on the BT device as you do not want two DHCP servers on your network.

Have you been able to check out the setup pages yet for the BT device?

the bt device has modified firmware on it, from what i can see it is possible to disable the routing access and use solely as a wireless access point, i think this would be the easiest way to go, if you feel otherwise please advise - lol,

if this is they way to go could you advise of how to physically connect it up please.

this the last question then im goin to go tinkering lol

kindest regards
J!!

Ok, you need to either disable the DHCP server on it and manually assign an IP (which I think may be easier for you right now) or use it as a DHCP passthrough.

Then, once the router is disabled, connect it to the DSL router via an ethernet cable and you are away.

Back