BT Vision Modchip

is0-mick

dilligaf
Reaction score
For those people interested in playing with their box please find the hex / bin for my modchip attached.
Schematic is included also.

schematic for the programmer i used was from here:
http://www.flightsim.com/howto/mind/avrisp.gif

I used ponyprog with an atmega8, fuse config CKSEL 0,1, and 3 ticked.. everything else unticked.

note: THIS DOES NOT GIVE YOU FREE TV!

It allows the box to boot unsigned code (an unsigned kernel) so you can modify the box to suit your own needs.
You will also need to replace the BooterCE.exe in NK.BIN file, with the one found here:
http://www.t-hack.com/wiki/index.php/BooterCE.exe

The original booterCE scans all the files on the hard drive and verifies their signatures, the alternative one above does not do this, but gives the box an ftp server, and webserver interface to transfer / execute files :)

You are then able to modify any of the other files on the box, such as jpg's html / xml files , exe's dll's etc.

There is lots more info on the t-hack site as their box is similar hardware, and is what I based my bt vision version of the modchip on.

*********** I Still need help with the C# *************

Mick

Last edited:
well done mate

i've read your posts about this box and you've certainley put the effort inot this but what does it really do because saying it executes dlls exe's etc i have no idea lol what can you use it as? i know you sai dit doesnt get you free tv but what can it get you?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Well, some smart cookie could get it to run unsigned code which may include an emu for example, this is great work by Mick, even if it only results in an alternative GUI, it's still great work.

well done mate

i've read your posts about this box and you've certainley put the effort inot this but what does it really do because saying it executes dlls exe's etc i have no idea lol what can you use it as? i know you sai dit doesnt get you free tv but what can it get you?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

It gives you the ability to mod the box.
The box runs WindowsCE, and the .net framework, so you can get it to run a .net application (exe).

All of the epg is HTML / XML / PNG's etc so all of that is easily customisable.
Basically it means you can program the box to do whatever you want.

Hopefully if we get enough people with the skills interested we could make a kick ass HD mediacentre, with internet, TV recording etc etc. Also the box could be used to watch bbc iplayer content or youtube etc.

Mick

It gives you the ability to mod the box.
The box runs WindowsCE, and the .net framework, so you can get it to run a .net application (exe).

All of the epg is HTML / XML / PNG's etc so all of that is easily customisable.
Basically it means you can program the box to do whatever you want.

Hopefully if we get enough people with the skills interested we could make a kick ass HD mediacentre, with internet, TV recording etc etc. Also the box could be used to watch bbc iplayer content or youtube etc.

Mick

Excellant mate!!

thats everything i need to know, if i knew anything about C# then i would offer my services but unfortuantely i don't have a clue!

keep up the good work mate

can these boxes be purchased from ebay?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Yes there usually on ebay. I've seen them go for at little as £4.50 but £10 -£25 is usually the average.

Cheap as chips for a HD freeview pvr, just need someone to help get the C# sorted and we should be up and running....

Mick

True, but as you alreay know C# is the native language of .net and would probably be what the orignal application would have been developed in.

Mick

C# is not the native language of .Net - .Net is a framework, so any of the languages that work under the version of the framework on this box will work.

This means, if the box uses .Net 2.0 (I dont know if it uses this, its just an example) then any language that is compatible with this version of the framework can be used to create applications for this box.

So, this means you could create stuff in VB.Net, C++.Net etc - you are not constricted to C# at all.

well not that I'm trying to cause any arguments or anything and I cant really see what relevance it has in this thread?

But when I was looking at video tutorials for XNA studio, microsoft said that c# was native language for .net.

I also agree that any language can be used hence it being called a CLR or common language runtime (which you already know).

Also If you can contribute to reforming the C# or whatever language you chose then feel free :)

What language do you think they would have chosen for this by the way? VB?

Mick

it would be hard to tell from looking as to what language they used - it is more than likely that the different product teams involved in its creation would have used whatever language they liked for the bots they were working on - thats the beauty of .Net.

I think you have misunderstood the tutorial for XNA, they are not stating that C# is the language for .Net - they are just telling you that C# is a .Net language.

Do you have any clear idea on what it is you want to do with this box now someone has enabled us to get unsigned code running on it? Precisely what do you need code wise?

Do you have any clear idea on what it is you want to do with this box now someone has enabled us to get unsigned code running on it? Precisely what do you need code wise?

What I would like to see is full PVR using the broadcast EPG rather than the BT distributed one, at least to begin with anyway.

Things like iPlayer and 4oD would be nice also. As would the ability to run flash player for youtube and other webvideo services.

Support on BT's forums state that the tuner in the box isn't capable of MPEG-4 decoding. As this is what HD freeview (aka DVB-T2) will be broadcast in, I'm wondering whether this can be passed to the processor if it cannot be done on the tuner? Although its probably not worth speculating at the moment as, apart from a few test areas, HD freeview doesn't go live until 2009. (BT vision support weren't even sure if the v2 box being developed by BT and motorola for release "mid-2009" would have a HD freeview MPEG-4 decoder as the DVB-T2 standard is still not 'locked'.)

I think most teams attempting to liberate the vision box would attempt to do this via linux, but imagine some would prefer to use the native WinCE and MediaRoom client if possible.

Obviously the VOD is never going to be hacked due to the distribution method - if you're not on a vision line your not going to get VOD.

personally, Linux is the way forward.

The vision box has an HDMI port on the back, I jave no idea why this is there if it cannot decode it.

I am unsure of how this box would pick up an EPG under WinCE, in Linux, MythTV would do it for you (I presume?). It would be costly to try and develop under .Net for this device. Instead of trying to work under .Net, more information should be gleaned regarding the hardware so that a Linux could be adapted.

The HDMI I would think is mainly for the benefit of the IPTV stuff, as the chip is capable of outputting HD formats.
It will also upscale the freeview.

The Germans have linux running, but are unable to load the microcodes, it just seems to fail.

I spoke to someone who develops on the sigma chip, and they said it is because each manufacturer can assign different keys to their chip, and the XPU (this is a security co-processor which handles loading of microcodes and secure core etc) wount accept the microcodes if they dont have the correct signature.

So linux seems to be a no go at the moment, unless you just want an ftp server or router...

Mick

now that you've doen teh hard bit surley someone with knowladge of programming will be along in a minute and yous can finsih off this masterpiece fo yours!!

Well Done on gettign this far hopefully someone can help you along the rest of the way

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Hi, im a noob to site (& ex BT hits & vision Engineer too :)

Will this mod allow the v-box to boot without the infernal bootstrap check online?

Also what do noob's need to do to get enough privaleges to download attachments? Am dying to try this out. Got an idea about guide data I wanna try.

Thanks everyone

Hi Wallace,
I did write a guide, and posted it over on t-hack.com where the German guys are also hacking their box which is based on similar hardware.

Mick

Back