BSkyB set to pull channels from Virgin Media

be intresting to see who backs down here . i think cable is finally big enough to scare sky a little more than sky would admit

Yeah no doubt, I have been following this closely for a while as am an avid Sky One watcher, but rumours have it cable will be investing into new channels with terrestrial giants and well known other stakeholders from America looking to develop new fresh viewing channels to launch.

This will include getting split deals on current popular series on Sky One, as if Sky pull the channel. The company such as ABC etc who offer programming can sell their programs seperately to both companies and possible charge double as they are now dealing with two different channels. Their argument is simple, we need to reach all the UK audience, and as one channel is set by one type of provider and a new one by another.............

Richard Branson is very shrewd and no doubt he isnt someone who will rely on an outside company for Virgin Medias success. Look out for some major changes soon and its about time someone took on Sky

in a perfect world mr branson will tell sky to drop dead & outbid em for rights 4 all the best shows like 24 then ill b happy

BSkyB chief executive James Murdoch has announced he has failed to bring Virgin Media chief executive Steve Burch back to the negotiating table. A statement released has said Murdoch called Burch and Virgin Media chairman Jim Mooney inviting them to reach a deal ahead of tonight's deadline. However, Virgin Media rejected the request to negotiate and confirmed they have no intention on making a new offer.

**It is also reported that Burch and Mooney sought to impose a new condition on future discussions with BSkyB - to reopen the existing contractual agreement for the distribution of Virgin Media's channels on Sky's platform.

A transcript of an interview with Richard Branson, by BBC's Andrew Neil has today been unofficially published on the internet. In the interview, due to be broadcast this weekend, Branson says he will buy the rights for the programmes currently on Sky and set up its own channels to rival Sky One. The full interview will be broadcast as part of StraightTalk with Andrew Neil on BBC News 24 on Saturday and Sunday. Branson comments: "Sky One has a couple of wallpaper bits of programming, which our viewers could do without briefly whilst we then go and buy the rights, for where they can just press a button and get it at any time. I mean for instance Lost, which is one of the programmes we’ve just picked up and we can offer all our viewers from September, and we’re negotiating for 24, and I’m sure we’ll get some more rights."

Back