Broken router?

Trabbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it must strike fear into your souls when you see that I have started a new post but I am trying to diversify! I have been given a Belkin 802.11g wireless router which I want to run my laptop off wirelessly so I can play poker in the front room whilst pretending to be actually interested in the soaps my missus is watching!

I was getting a very low signal after appearing to sucessfully set it up but of course, I couldn't leave alone and now I am getting no signal! When I try to run the setup wizaed again I get the message the router is not responding. Now - I did drop it a little bit!! Is there anyway I can check to see whether it actually is broken - all the right lights are on!

I have tried searching for a guide to help me - couldn't find one so any help much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

look on the back of the router, there should be a hole or tiny reset button, press this for 10 seconds whilst the router is on. hopefully this will sort it out, however it could be a hardware fault due to dropping it.

also forget the setup programes.

turn router on.
view wireless networks
if the belkin shows up try to connect to it.
if it does allow you to connect, type this into your web browser address bar

http://192.168.2.1 (i think thats correct for belkin)

hopefully the login page will show, and i think by default belkin routers have a blank password.

hopefully that should sort you out.

:D

I'll give it a go, thanks for reply.

Well, I can see the router through my pc but my wireless pc won't connect to it! Any suggestions please?

you can view the network on the availible wireless connections utility , but you cannot connect to it? what happens when you try? does it give an error message?

have you tried restarting your PC? and or disabling and re-enabling the wireless card on the laptop?

or you could try from a command prompt

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /new

this should clear any possibly corrupt network setting (or flush it).

also did you reset the router using the button at the back?

I can connect to router from my static pc that the router is plugged into but can't connect from wireless laptop. It can see the router but when I try to connect nothing happens, hourglass comes up and then just goes back to screen showing available networks. I did reset the router as you suggested and that at least got me able to see it from pc.

Unsure how I would disable wireless network card but will have a look. Will also try release/new from command prompt.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Have added to rep.

I can connect to router from my static pc that the router is plugged into but can't connect from wireless laptop. It can see the router but when I try to connect nothing happens, hourglass comes up and then just goes back to screen showing available networks. I did reset the router as you suggested and that at least got me able to see it from pc.

Unsure how I would disable wireless network card but will have a look. Will also try release/new from command prompt.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Have added to rep.

hmmmmm. routers working fine from LAN but not from wlan, have you by anychance got another wireless pc in your house? try connecting to it from that? also loginto the router from the wired machine and make sure you have disabled any wireless security for the time being.

Okay, tried that - no joy. Do I need to have set the main pc up as a host and the laptop as a client? No idea how to do that but do I need to?

Back