broadband speed

yes, full speed on laptop connected via patch cable at router when i move to where the pc is and connect laptop i don't get full speed ,i even tried with another cat 5e cable of same lenght with laptop and the speed drops dramatically.

I very much doubt upgrading to Cat 7 is required. I dont know anywhere that installs cat 7 and im a network engineer.

If you're getting full speeds on a wired connection via a laptop, then it's local to your PC. As stated, you wont get as fast speeds via WiFi as you will wired.

We run 1Gb over Cat4 at work LOL. Cat7 is what? 10Gb?

@coathanger57, it's a process of elimination...

If it's okay when direct (I assume with smaller length cable) but it wasn't when you were using the 25m cable and assuming nothing else has changed (ie different device or connect via a different method) then it could be that specific 25m cable.

If you do find it's that specific 25m cable then I would say at least go for shielded ethernet cable as a replacement Cat 6a I believe are all shielded and some cat6 are.

However, janobi is the network engineer (I'm just IT support) so he may have better recommendation :)

Cat4 haha. I don't think i've come across that in a very long time. That must be at least 20years old. Thought least was cat5e these days.

Cat4 haha. I don't think i've come across that in a very long time. That must be at least 20years old. Thought least was cat5e these days.

It's under the floor LOL.

Nobody wants to touch it. I accused the network guy traffic shaping me LMAO.

It's under the floor LOL.

Nobody wants to touch it. I accused the network guy traffic shaping me LMAO.
Just looked up details for cat4 lol, I guess it is traffic shaping by hardware limitation. It's 100Base-T4 so half duplex as well.

What switches do you have - i'm guessing not 1gb (unless had no choice but to replace an existing switch)?

Just looked up details for cat4 lol, I guess it is traffic shaping by hardware limitation. It's 100Base-T4 so half duplex as well.

What switches do you have - i'm guessing not 1gb (unless had no choice but to replace an existing switch)?

All Cisco Gb switches :D.

any links to where to get new cable, got last ones of ebay. Thanks

Depends on what you want to do. If you want POE then solid copper is a good idea.

Cheap cable is sometimes aluminium. Stuff off eBay and whatnot.

Yeah it's a mental speed for cat 7, but it's dependent upon the kit being used, length of cable, switches etc. I've worked in a 10Gbps environment, but the only thing that can perform at that speed is storage or very high end switches (Nexus) for instance.

TBH if you're going for 10Gbps speeds you'd normally use fibre cables anyway, and have a fabric network.

So from what you've said it sounds like a cable issue, or NIC issue eg the NIC cannot perform at those speeds. Depending on the NIC i'd be surprised if it couldn't handle a min of 1Gbps.

As ketmp said, it's a process of elimination, but it's likely the cable, you may have an earth or something. Without a cable tester it's hard to judge. You can make your own cables quite easily, just get some decent cat5e cable, and some RJ45 connections and cut and fit your own cables.

Most cables are STP (Shielded twisted pair), try and buy roche (Think that's what they're called) cables, as they're pretty decent.

update, replaced cables, laptop now at full speed but pc still at 10Mb,so i reinstalled an image of windows 7 c- drive and everything running fine now. looks like something in windows was stopping nic from running at full speed. Thanks for all your help and ideas.

Back