broadband speed

coathanger57

DW Member +
Reaction score
hi, i've noticed over the past few days that my virgin media hub3 is running very slow on all devices,i have done a speed check on a wired pc and the download speed is less than 10 meg, on wifi the downl;oad speed is 25meg, has anybody else experienced this dramatic drop in speed from 108 meg to this. thanks

If you are using speednet to check the speed, have you tried different servers? I noticed i was getting about 20mb on one server switched and got the full 50mb. If it's the same on all servers, I'd be ringing Virgin telling them to get it sorted out.

i've already tried virgin and they say there's no problem,funny how it happens on all devices.

Does it happen at all times of the day? Have you been traffic shaped? You certainly shouldn't be getting faster via WiFi than Hard wired as that goes against all principles of networking.

Do the PCs have 1Gb network interfaces? If they have wired 100Mb interfaces you will probably see ~70Mb speed when the overheads are added.

What is the PC-PC transfer speed like?

Probably unrelated but years ago I had a few months where I was wondering about my speed after a free VM upgrade. Turned our my router had a 60Mb WAN interface :). I have a fancier one now.

Im on vermin 200mb line,and i used to get 200mb when i ran ookla speedtest,then i got the intelligent wifi update on the router which shares the 200mb to all devices connected.its like 50mb for every device i run a speedtest on!!!

Does it happen at all times of the day? Have you been traffic shaped? You certainly shouldn't be getting faster via WiFi than Hard wired as that goes against all principles of networking.
yes it happens all day.

Do the PCs have 1Gb network interfaces? If they have wired 100Mb interfaces you will probably see ~70Mb speed when the overheads are added.

What is the PC-PC transfer speed like?

Probably unrelated but years ago I had a few months where I was wondering about my speed after a free VM upgrade. Turned our my router had a 60Mb WAN interface :). I have a fancier one now.
yes they are wired and do have 1GB interfaces, sorry i don't know how to check pc to pc transfer speeds.

Im on vermin 200mb line,and i used to get 200mb when i ran ookla speedtest,then i got the intelligent wifi update on the router which shares the 200mb to all devices connected.its like 50mb for every device i run a speedtest on!!!
yes i noticed this update and have turned off intelligent wifi in router but makes no difference.

I've been doing a bit of googling and have noticed that i'm not alone, but there doesn't seem to be any remedy from virgin.

I've been onto the virgin community site and left the router log, will wait and see if anyone from virgin responds to this.

I agree with janobi, it's practically unheard off to actually get faster speedtest results via wifi than hard-wired.

Only times, I can think of, that would cause this are:

1. serious wire issues
  2. the device (eg PC) you're using has hardwire test has problems (eg malware/virus or just running really slow)
  3. problems with wired router
Option 1 is least likely these days (but not unheard of) so my money would be 2 or 3.

Can you use another device for the hardwire test?

Maybe with the PC you're using for hardwire test, you disable the wireless (if it has wireless) and then ping gateway continuously. Normally the gateway would be:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
or
Code:
Look for the "time=" value. I would expect this to be 1ms or less all the time.

Last edited:
I agree with janobi, it's practically unheard off to actually get faster speedtest results via wifi than hard-wired.

1. serious wire issues
  2. the device (eg PC) you're using has hardwire test has problems (eg malware/virus or just running really slow)
Option 1 is least likely these days (but not unheard of) so my money would be 2 or 3.

Maybe with the PC you're using for hardwire test, you disable the wireless (if it has wireless) and then ping gateway continuously. Normally the gateway would be:
Code:
or
Code:

1. serious wire issues

Code:
or
Code:
have been testing pc and laptop both on differed wired connections and both results are the same.
ping test was between 8ms and 37ms.

just done another speedtest on pc 8.31 down and 0.47 up, mobile was 33.5 down and 3.83 up. strange.

I'm going to try laptop connected straight into router and see what results are.

have been testing pc and laptop both on differed wired connections and both results are the same.
ping test was between 8ms and 37ms.
Are you using homeplugs etc?

Try to ensure there is nothing else obvious using your internet - wired or wireless (eg kids playing online games,streaming, etc) and try wired connection direct from router to both laptop and PC.

I would expect around "time=1ms" from ping (when pinging the gateway) and if you do get this from ping, try speedtest.net

When you said you were wired before, how was this if it wasn't directly to the router?

Via another router/switch or homeplugs, etc?

Update:

Also, if you read the thread you just posted that was when wanting higher than 100mb (ie 1gb but technically, 5e can support 1gb). I know several with hub 3.0 and don't have cat7 and don't have an issue. I believe yours, based on what you mentioned, is something else! If hub 3 required cat7 cables and didn't work with anything less, I'm sure there would more complaints and vm would have fix/replace hub3.

Last edited:
When you said you were wired before, how was this if it wasn't directly to the router?

Via another router/switch or homeplugs, etc?

Update:

Also, if you read the thread you just posted that was when wanting higher than 100mb (ie 1gb but technically, 5e can support 1gb). I know several with hub 3.0 and don't have cat7 and don't have an issue. I believe yours, based on what you mentioned, is something else! If hub 3 required cat7 cables and didn't work with anything less, I'm sure there would more complaints and vm would have fix/replace hub3.
was done with 25m cat 5e cable but it worked fine, wondering if they have done an update on router.

update, have tried laptop wired into router and im getting full down and full up speed, so it looks like i will have to upgade cables to cat 7. here is a link that may be of interest. Hub 3.0 only works with Cat 7 ethernet cable

I very much doubt upgrading to Cat 7 is required. I dont know anywhere that installs cat 7 and im a network engineer.

If you're getting full speeds on a wired connection via a laptop, then it's local to your PC. As stated, you wont get as fast speeds via WiFi as you will wired.

Back