Broadband Scam

rutters

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I read post on a footie forum from a guy called Amraz Ali offering hooky BB (500mb for £40 pcm). Out of interest I emailed him and he seems insistent that he can do it. He supplies the Hub 3 and can supply different speeds at different prices.

Anyone else heard about this?

Ask for a test - I cant see how as you would need to authenticate to who ever the service provider is (unless he works for the company and has found a loop hole). Im assuming its Virmin?

VM maximum is 300 (which I have) assuming that's what he is selling.. I spell something fishy and its not my user name

Sounds like a scam!

Mick

VM maximum is 300 (which I have) assuming that's what he is selling.. I spell something fishy and its not my user name

Virginmedia go upto 350mbs for broadband but they also offer managed internet at speed upto 1gb download and 1gb upload.

The Superhub 3 is capable of upto 10gb synchronous with Docsis 3.1

Does anyone know if mac cloning is still doable? That could be it.

Even if mac cloning is still possible you'd still have 2(or more) devices authenticating on one account which would be easy to stop

I read post on a footie forum from a guy called Amraz Ali offering hooky BB (500mb for £40 pcm). Out of interest I emailed him and he seems insistent that he can do it. He supplies the Hub 3 and can supply different speeds at different prices.

Anyone else heard about this?

Actually apart from modding mac etc, there is another option. He could work inside VM, I mean he is offering 'per month'...

I never heard of any scammers daring to charge per month for a modem on cloning days as it's too unreliable (when original subscriber cancels, has modem changed etc.)

£40 per month is not that far from the full price so it could be some kind of internal discount he is able apply on the sly.

Good reply, thanks:)

He replied to an email with a mobile number to call him on. What should I ask him?

Like he would tell you that...

Need to be more discreet than that ffs.

The key question is: what happens if you stop paying him? If it will go off then he is doing something internal with VM. If it's a MAC address type mod/hack he has no way to controlling it (unless he owns the original it's cloned from - and even then if he used it multiple times then could not individually disable single 'copies')

That's the reason I think this is some internal fiddle by a VM employee.

I would ask him if you had problems should he contact Virgin Media directly, and what happens if you have a cable disconnection...

Like he will tell you that either, of coarse he is going to say that it will turn off, if he said it would still work then who would continue to pay him????

Used to be a group of ntl workers around my way doing something similar 15-20 years ago, when I was interested in hacking the telly.
They used to setup their customers on the system themselves and threaten to cut the cable if you didn't pay your subs.

Back