Broadband Britain 'speeding up'

hamba

Elite Member
Reaction score
Broadband Britain 'speeding up'

Broadband is getting faster in the UK but some customers are not reaching the speeds that service providers have advertised, shows a survey.

The average UK broadband download speed is now 2Mbps, up from 512Kbps three years ago, says thinkbroadband.com.

The figures are based on more than a third of a million speed tests carried out by the website's users.

But many people who have been sold "up to 8Mbps" services are still getting substantially slower connections.

"Compared to a couple of years ago the average has gone up," confirmed Andrew Ferguson, editor of thinkbroadband.com.

"But the survey shows that whilst a number of providers are marketing products as an 'up to 8Mbps' service, it is clear that some of them have a fair proportion of customers still on fixed 512kbps, 1Mbps or 2Mbps services."

Maximum speed

For some customers the maximum speed they can attain is tied to the quality of the telephone line and distance from the exchange.

But Mr Ferguson said some broadband providers were keeping people on fixed connections to save costs.

"Because the broadband they are giving people still fits into the description of 'up to 8Mbps' that they are selling people, they think that's fine."

Mr Ferguson said people should be told that the connection they are getting is "rate adaptive".

"People see the 'eight' and that sticks in their heads. Rate adaptive ADSL means it runs as fast as the line can tolerate."

He encouraged people to ask their providers exactly how fast their connection was likely to be before signing new deals.

The fastest connection recorded in the UK was a customer of internet service provider Be at slightly more than 21Mbps.

Mr Ferguson said: "That customer must obviously live very close to the exchange. They are within 100 to 200 metres of the phone exchange."

Speed improvements

Be is among a number of firms, including Bulldog and UK Online, who have invested their own money into ADSL2+ technologies, which offer substantial speed improvements.

But these services are often limited to urban areas.

BT Wholesale is currently triallng ADSL2+ technology, which it is expected to roll out to other internet service providers in the next 24 months.

"For those of us who don't live in big cities, that will mean we will get the chance at better speeds," said Mr Ferguson.

While broadband speeds in the UK are set to improve, the country still lags behind Japan and South Korea where speeds of up to 50Mbps are not uncommon.

Mr Ferguson said: "In Japan you will see VDSL services at 50/60Mbps and you think, 'Why can't I have that in Britain?'.

"But in Japan you can roll out whatever you like and you fix problems like interference after. In the UK we like not to have interference."

Faster broadband speeds over telephone lines could potentially lead to interference with radio stations.

The UK regulator wants these problems fixed before the greenlight is given to technologies such as VDSL and VDSL2, which offer tremendous broadband speeds.

Story from BBC NEWS:
Published: 2007/02/22 11:26:40 GMT
© BBC MMVII

biffo1

Staff member
Reaction score
compared with other counties we are still way behind with our speeds and still pay over the odds 4 it

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Same old story, people dont understand what they are paying for and not understanding how adsl differs from cable.

This is the fault of the ISP's mis-leading advertising noticed alot of this with PC World to when they started heavily advertised wifi people thought they could have wifi internet without routers etc. Also in one advert I recall them saying hard disk space is memory!!

Highlander

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm with BE and it states up to 24meg, but i only fetch 8.5 sometimes 9meg download speeds.

GaryM

Inactive User
Reaction score
my is 10 meg i only et 2 meg

I also have cable 10MB but always get speeds of 1200Kb/s from newsgroups and sometimes over 1000Kb/s via torrents.
Best way to test is to download a file from a fast server, I normally grab WMP11 from Microsoft and see speeds around 1150Kb/s. These test sites depends on so many variables which makes them very inaccurate.

Log into your modem and make sure you have the right config file, NTL didn't bother sending me the new 10MB file when I upgraded, it came down to me to tell them I needed it to see 10MB!!

Any idea when cable will be upping speeds again?

Last edited:

zerofool2005

Chilld/Teenage Member
Reaction score
This is just typical Britian though isnt it. We pay over the odds where in some other country they pay a lot less for a lot more. So the goverment can go fund a load of missiles that we'll never use and cost millions or billions to maintain

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol looks like this is going abit off topic but main thing to remember is your using cable then you should be getting more or less the speed your paying for.

If using ADSL always check your distance from the exchange and check your phone sockets, I used to have problem with my socket when on Bulldog ADSL 8mb, I only used to get 4-5mb but then I read somewhere to open the socket up and pull out one of the wires used for the ring and add line filter and problem was fixed. My connection sync'd at the correct speed.

demonx

Inactive User
Reaction score
It's no good "speeding up" if ISP's cap how much you download in the process. :(

GaryM

Inactive User
Reaction score
This is just typical Britian though isnt it. We pay over the odds where in some other country they pay a lot less for a lot more. So the goverment can go fund a load of missiles that we'll never use and cost millions or billions to maintain

And that's why my Broadband connection is so expensive? :Kickassro :Jester:

demonx

Inactive User
Reaction score
I don't mind paying extra, As long as I get an uncapped service.

Shady05

Inactive User
Reaction score
i hav been hearing talk about 20mb service coming out in june from virgin media!
lets hope its a free upgrade from the 10mb service, doubt it though! :(

nozzer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mind paying extra, As long as I get an uncapped service.

From what i'm told it will be a free upgrade. 10Meg -> 20Meg, 4Meg->8(or maybe 10)Meg, 2Meg->5Meg. Upload on the new 20Meg service is expected to be 768k (rather than the present 512k (C&W/Ntl) or 368k (Tw) ). Upload on the lower tier services is expected to be 512k and 368k respectively.

Its also rumoured though that the stm traffic shaping will become standard at the same time although its not known what the parameters will be. Presently, customers in the stm test area are sin-binned if they download at full speed for more than 20 minutes during peak hours (4pm-midnight). Once sin-binned download is restricted to half of maximum speed.

nohidingplace

Member +
Reaction score
all companies quote "upto" not "you will get",cable having a relatively new network, cabling wise, should be well upto to speed as they have an advantage over BT with the fact that BT telephone wires are of variable thickness and some are aluminium conductors whereas cable have thicker copper wires ensuring we receive (not me, not cable) decent TV Pictures.

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Reaction score

can never have enough missles pal ;)

agree with the slow britain posts, i heard sweeden and the likes all have 30MB connections ? for me 10MB is enough would like it both ways though 250K upload is pants :(

Regards
Mickie D

reflexuk

Inactive User
Reaction score
just a few hundred yards seems it can make all the difference in my experience 1mb on one exchange and 7mb on the next - Come on BT get your act together for all of us!!

Auldtam

DW Member +
Reaction score
I was sold up to 8mb broadband, its currently 2mb. When I contacted my provider they said it will got up to 4.5mb in August, they blame the BT exchange.

TEST