Broadband - and why ****** Suk Ballz

moosie

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have been with the big V for about 9 months now - no end of issues with performance and account cock-ups.

SO I moved just over a month ago and they toally ballsed the moving of the broadband - after much faffing about it was in and working - 5Mb ta v much.

All was well until about 3 weeks ago. My speed dropped to a solid 512Kb. And that's been it ever since. It sticks at 512 Kb all day, every day basically and I can get no better. After about 2 weeks of messing about with ****** and getting various reasons they have decreed it to be "congestion" on their equipment - BOLLOKS is it!

So my question is this - whos the best ISP now? I want uncapped 24/7 P2P goodness ;O) Well a cap of 40GB or more will do and I want no tracffic shaping or port/protocol blocking. Also a phone service thrown in would be sweet as I have 24/7 free calls with V atm.

Cheers all,

Moose

PS - current top contenders seem to be Sky, O2 or poss back to good old Demon.

I guess it doesnt like ****** either ;) V I R G IN :)

There aint really a service like that mate to be honest, and if you move to adsl your going to be limited by distance from the exchange, and also restriction policies.

what about BE isp?

h*tps://www.bethere.co.uk/

know a few people on that and they really like it

PM me and I will refer you to BE if you decide to go for them. I get a month free, and you get free installation (£35).

I run it at work and its great.

Does depend on distance to exchange as everyone else does.

A lot of their exchanges have unbundled LLU, and have their own equipment in the cabs.

Im with o2 so far so good no problems at all, was with bt before was getting around 4meg.. now im with 02 my speed has gone up to 7.5meg so im well pleased all for £7.50pm.

With B.t I was paying £22pm and at peak hours it was a nightmare, dead slow
speed.

Im with bethere and i get 13mbit 24/7 im not too far away from the exchange and its only £18 a month or £10 if you go with o2 and have a phoen contract

if you live near exchange then its good if you dont then it will prob be very slow

theres a few sites that will give you a rough guess on how far you'll eb away from exchange

Also they dont have any caps in place and i download about 200GB a month sometimes more

Was going to suggest bethere, but wasnt sure about the phone service and such. Belive your on about ADSL2 with upto 24mb BB. Correct about it being LLU and having equipment in the exchange. But there is no LLU equipment in cabs, I have never seen any LLU equipment in cabs at all. Engineer in West Wales.

@Bigga, what service you on mate? And how far you live from the exchange? As I cant see changing provider would double your speed mate, tbh its the same cable as being used when BT was your ISP, only difference is the equipment in the exchange, so unless your on ADSL2, then I doubt you speed would of doubled.

Hey guys thanks for help.

@Janobi: I am in South Wales :) Exchange is SWCIT in Caldicot and I live about 2.3KM away from exchange. From the details on the Be site (and samknows) it looks like Be/O2 will offer LLU services from the end of Aug in that exchange so might be the way to go.
I just wish that VM would get BT to check the IP profile on the damn line as I am sutre it's jammed 0- either that or my account at VM is corrupt and they are packet shaping me 24/7 at 512K.

ho hum...

Moose

As far as I can tell M8 - Cable = Muts Nuts - ADSL = Congeted and patchy performance with shite customer services... only my opinions tho :)

moose

@Bigga, what service you on mate? And how far you live from the exchange? As I cant see changing provider would double your speed mate, tbh its the same cable as being used when BT was your ISP, only difference is the equipment in the exchange, so unless your on ADSL2, then I doubt you speed would of doubled.

I live around about a mile 1/2 from the exchange and im ADSL2+ Ive seen a massive increase in speed compared to B.T

before I signed up I read quite a lot of reviews and they were mostly positive and lots of people have seen there speeds go up compared to there old ISP.

I also like the uk customer support.no being transferred to india and the likes lol.

Back