bringing back to life my old wii

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have wii in an untouched state that the last time I used it we could not connect online to play mario cart racing as they had stopped support. Could any of you with more knowlesge than me point me in to idiots guide on how to install homebrew etc or how to download and play back up games. I got the remotes out and there charging for when I come back.

Ta.

have a google for "letterbomb" if on wii menu 4.3 or "bannerbomb" if 4.2 and under
you will need a sd card and maybe a usb hdd to hold backups

check for online update and make sure your wii and shopping channel are latest version.

then use modmii to hack you machine.
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?resources/67/

What is ModMii?

ModMii, formerly known as NUS Auto-Downloader, is able to download all the files needed to modify ANY Wii; it can generate custom guides based on your Wii's specifications, and save the files to your SD Card in their appropriate locations for easy offline softmodding.

modmii is a fantastic bit of kit, which makes the modding process easy.

I found the best setup to be:

1: add a hardrive (most wii's cannot play backup disks and the ones that can lag terribly)
2: format hardrive fat32 (this means you can store everything on your hardrive and eventually remove the sd card)
3: use configurable usb loader

you will need a small SD card to start the process, 2 gig or less
wii's don't like high capacity or SDHC cards so you'll have to have a rummage around for an old card

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you guys I will start later reading the information shortly

Is there numpties guide on how to start this, I have downloaded the link and installed the file from buzzer and had a look at letterbomb. I have a sd card and a 128bg usb stick at the ready. There are also no further updates for the wii.

modmii will generate a custom tut for you.

if you are unsure how to use it, post your wii's mac address and i'll set it up for you.

[video=youtube_share;6Pc8L-ARa1M]https://youtu.be/6Pc8L-ARa1M[/video]

presumably you have a euro region wii?

Last edited:
There was a reply ealier that had a link to a video that showed how to intall the homebrew. I managed to watch it and it made sense.. I will watch this video later. Thanks you

Back