Born between the 30's & 70's?

Just-i

Inactive User
Reaction score
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright coluored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft-drinks made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the
bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nitendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet
or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of inovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them...CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Jay Leno (American Talk Show host)

Similar things have been posted here many times before. The sad thing is, they're all true. This isn't "Fun and Laughter", this is the reality of modern society. I feel sorry for kids born in the last twenty years. They've missed out on so much.

So true m8, I see myself in that....soz about posting ere, but I wasn't sure where to...if its posted elsewhere on the forum, plz delete mod.

So true m8, I see myself in that....soz about posting ere, but I wasn't sure where to...if its posted elsewhere on the forum, plz delete mod.

No I'm not complaining about where it's posted. It's as good here as anywhere.

Thats the way of the world ,very sad ,but it can only get worse .

I mean , they even moan about where its posted ffs !!

Only joking nara:)

Yes those were the days. And no I was not born in the 50’s but the 70’s and loved every minute of my childhood. And they call what happens now ‘Progress!!’ :proud:

everything that was said i done cause i was born in the fifties,i remember us getting an old bake beans tin,punching holes in it with a 6 inch nail , tying old fence wire,stuffing it with old papers(slightly damp) setting it a light and running up and down pretending you were a jet engine and all the smoke blowing out and when it really went on fire, man, that was your engine in hyper drive yep them were the days

if only we could let our kids do half what we done

oh what fun we had :)

When we used to come off for the school holiday's, my mum & dad never seen me from dawn til dusk and never battered an eyelid. I can't let my daughter out site in the relativley small street we live in now.

How times change and all for the worse!

I was born in the late 60's

my mother says the only time she saw me was when i wanted feeding lol , but yeah i did all those things said above , and yeah im one of the parents now who doesnt like my kids to go across the doors . so sad how times have changed .

regards robby

I had loads of freedom as a child - at 12 I was jumping on the tube to Arsenal and going in on my own if there was no mates about that day!! I didnt care - I had 2 buses to school - no lift from parents!!

But now as a parent - I look at the kids and they just dont seem old enough or mature enough to do anything on their own - maybe they are just too pampered and sheltered these days!!!

thats so true, good old day's, we was talking about this the other day with my family and mom, had a right old laugh about it my mother was saying some mad things about us kids what we got up to LOL- but now like all of you's with kids, you just cant let them out you sight.

Back