Booting iPrep from USB problem

JT86

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm trying to mod my 360. I've opened it up and its a BENQ/Philips drive. I have all the relevant software and I've been following the Textbook2008 guide.

I've got as far as creating a bootable flash drive with the relevant iPrep files on it. However, when I try to boot from the flash drive all I get is the letter 'j' rather than the iPrep disclaimer. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've had a shitload of problems installing the drivers for the VIA VT6421 PCI card. The drivers & utilities disc that came with it was pointless coz when I run 'add hardware wizard' it found jackshit on it so I've had to download the latest drivers from the VIA website. When I run iPrep, the PCI card showed up in the SATA info selection panel so I'm guessing its installed ok.

Anyway, it driving me fecking nuts so does anyone know why I can't boot iPrep and just get the letter 'j' whenever I try to do so?

some usb sticks won,t boot to iprep mate I had bother before with one, that could be your problem

Thanks for the reply mate. I'll give it a go with another flash drive then. Failing that, I'll try booting from a CD.

:Cheers:

Yeah I have a floppy drive. In the Textbook2008 guide though it recommends avoiding using a floppy, if possible, as a few people have bricked their drives by doing so.

If I can't get it to boot via a USB or a CD first then I'll give it a go.

Does it matter?

Type

dir

Press enter

This list whats on 'J'

If you see a folder called backups and once called CFW

Proceed with

dben 1234567 12345

Although, do not run FBen until you have verified the drive key and firmware dump is valid ;)

^^^I can not stress how important that is^^^^

Older versions of iPrep never had the discalimer.

NTFS for dos is easy peasy.

Just create a small partition, i use a 10G partition to do all my flashes.

Jaysus dont use floppys!!!

hi mate use dos flash 32
works a treat with benqs

been trying DosFlash32 but not getting anywhere either.

I don't get the 'resend the mtk vendor intro cmd' prompt when I run DosFlash and the device doesn't show up!

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm starting to get really fed up now so I'm gonna leave it for a bit

Do you have MSN....

PM me, Ill see you through it

some pc's and iprep dont like using the front of the pc for usb sticks, use the rear usb slots.

i use iprep all the time, and it has never let me down.

Its a rear usb port I've been using mate

Its more likely the pc and iPrep just don't like me......

if you want to send drive only in post, i will flash it for you m8.

Thanks for the offer mate but I'd kinda like to learn to do it for myself. Its probably just something stupid that I'm doing. I'm gonna leave it just now and get back into it tomorrow

what choices does it give you when changing the boot devices in the bios,as mine has 2 choices for usb devices,mine will only boot from a usb device if i set it to USB-FDD.

I didn't change the order in BIOS. I removed all other drives and started up computer. As it starts up I press F11 to choose which drive to boot from. The only one that shows up is the USB (F:/VERBATIM STORE N GO)

ok,are you using the sata port nearest the front of the pc on the via card?
I didn't change the order in BIOS. I removed all other drives and started up computer. As it starts up I press F11 to choose which drive to boot from. The only one that shows up is the USB (F:/VERBATIM STORE N GO)

Back