Bootable USB with DOS Menu

bodser

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been spending most of the day looking for a fairly simple way to create a bootable USB stick which gives a dos menu to then choose which program i want to run.

I need to run some simple dos programs (which I already have) like DBAN and other hard drive tools.
I also need to be able to run an ISO which is a standard image file to image pc's where I work. Currently I boot the image file from a CD. But I would like to have the image on my USB instead of burning cd's with the image file when I lose them, which happens often :)

It needs to be easily customised so that I can add new programs to it.

I dont want something like Universal Boot CD's usb version

Can someone please offer me some help, a step-by-step guide or something.
Everything I've come across always just hasnt fitted my needs.

so.......... a bootable usb that gives a simple dos menu

ok, I'm now using the HP usb utility and have created a bootable usb with options to run selected programs.
You have to create an image from a floppy disk (for each program) which is then put on the usb.

But, I have yet to find how to make it boot an ISO......... I will update if I find an answer.
If anyone already knows how then just reply and let me know

A bit more info, not my stuff, and the link for the Dell stuff mentioned is below

Dell has released a utility to create bootable DOS for USB, ISO/CDROM, or PXE. Find their DDDP (Dell Diagnostic Delivery Package) Google: Dell R163742
(currently: ftp.dell.com://diags/CW1310A0.EXE )

The package runs on vista (and presumably XP)
[and is designed to create a DOS-bootable dell diagnostics disc; but you can add your own tools!]

It creates a directory structure that you can add your files into (like ptedit, mbrsaver, ctmouse, dellmbr.bin) and edit the given AUTOEXEC.BAT

DDDP.exe is a GUI that will create a bootable USB, a .iso image file, or burn directly to CDROM.

Note: USB drives come in different geometries, i had to try several to get one that would format and boot.
Different BIOSs (even on dell) require some tweaks.
I had to exchange the BOOT\LBA* for BOOT\LBACHS* to get the USB to boot on my Inspiron 531 (which indidicated "NO LBA SUPPORT") but my older Dimension 4700 worked with the default LBA files.
DDDP puts the LBACHS files on the CDROM and that works, also.

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...1&impid=-1&formatcnt=2&libid=13&fileid=237263

A bit more info, not my stuff, and the link for the Dell stuff mentioned is below

Dell has released a utility to create bootable DOS for USB, ISO/CDROM, or PXE. Find their DDDP (Dell Diagnostic Delivery Package) Google: Dell R163742
(currently: ftp.dell.com://diags/CW1310A0.EXE )

The package runs on vista (and presumably XP)
[and is designed to create a DOS-bootable dell diagnostics disc; but you can add your own tools!]

It creates a directory structure that you can add your files into (like ptedit, mbrsaver, ctmouse, dellmbr.bin) and edit the given AUTOEXEC.BAT

DDDP.exe is a GUI that will create a bootable USB, a .iso image file, or burn directly to CDROM.

Note: USB drives come in different geometries, i had to try several to get one that would format and boot.
Different BIOSs (even on dell) require some tweaks.
I had to exchange the BOOT\LBA* for BOOT\LBACHS* to get the USB to boot on my Inspiron 531 (which indidicated "NO LBA SUPPORT") but my older Dimension 4700 worked with the default LBA files.
DDDP puts the LBACHS files on the CDROM and that works, also.

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...1&impid=-1&formatcnt=2&libid=13&fileid=237263

That looks quiet interesting.

I am not sure if this is your answer but look up
Ceedo Giga Cube (USB memory stick)
and see what capabilities it has

Back