Boot loader image files

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
There have been reports that one of the ported dreambox images erases the TM U-boot part of the image, meaning that pressing the UP button on power up no longer gives the U-boot menu for upgrading, factory resetting etc

these files will reinstall the U-boot loader on your receiver

will this need to be flashed with null modem only, or should any method work ?

any method should work to get this onto the box, but ive only tried via null modem, but if the boot menu aint there to begin with, then null modem aint an option

it shouldnt overwrite any settings as its a different part of the receivers memory, but back them up just in case

ill open a new tm600, install the darkstar image on it then try this out

could somebody please explain to me what a bootloader, boot menu and U-boot is?

Cheers,
CrazyFool

i see.
is it like one of those things in my old ps2, where if you press square when it boots up, it takes you to the modchip menu thing?

bootloader it the first thing thats loads on power on, basically, if you flash a firmware (image whatever) across, and this is wrong or corrupted or has problems of any sort that mean the unit cant be booted and put right, then you can fall back on the bootloader, which in most cases will allow you to reflash the unit safely if all other means wont work.

like a last resort safety net.

360 drives for instance (samsungs benqs and possibly liteons) have the bootloader held onchip, so even if you flash em wrong, you can still reflash them.

with the hitachi drives, it was part of the firmware, if you flashed it wrong only route would be to take the whole chip off and programme it in an external programmer....

;)

Back