Booed Bhoys

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
CELTIC FANS JEER PROTESTERS FOR REFUSING TO HONOUR WAR DEAD

HARDCORE Celtic fans were jeered by their fellow supporters yesterday — after refusing to honour the nation’s war dead.

Around 60 anti-poppy protesters walked out of Parkhead 10 minutes into the clash with Motherwell.

But their views weren’t shared by the majority of the Celtic support — who honoured our fallen heroes with a minute’s APPLAUSE before kick-off and BOOED the protesters as they filed out.

The departing fans were joined outside by around 140 others to stage a noisy demo, singing rebel songs and waving the Irish flag.

Their movements were closely monitored by watching Strathclyde Police officers.

The angry fans were demonstrating at the club’s decision to play with a poppy sewn onto their hooped shirts. They claim the red flower is a symbol of British Army brutality in Northern Ireland.

But last night ordinary fans branded those who took part in the 45-minute demo as ignorant — and pointed out that ex-players and fans fought bravely in both world wars.

Celtic follower John Ballantyne said it was “a privilege” to wear his poppy when he attended the game with wheelchair-bound family friend Alexander Tavendale, 15.

John, 49, of Blantyre, Lanarkshire, said: “For goodness sake, we’ve got former players who have won medals fighting for their country. My son is serving in the Army right now. I don’t see why there should be any protest.

“These people fight for our country. It is a privilege to wear the poppy.”

Fan websites urged supporters with Republican leanings to gather at the Cairde na h’Eireann — Gaelic for ‘Friends of Ireland’ — shop in the Gallowgate at 1pm.

At the stadium, they handed leaflets to supporters explaining their reasons behind the walkout. It said: “In recent times many of our supporters in Ireland have suffered directly at the hands of the British Army, an army whose soldiers we are expected to applaud and commemorate today.

“This is an insult to our supporters in Ireland and to all of the many thousands with Irish heritage and ancestry that follow the club. Our protest is not aimed at individuals who wear the poppy, it is against the idea Celtic as an institution should be backing British imperialism in any way.”

Shortly before kick-off, the names of Celtic players who had died in the two wars were flashed up on giant screens.

But 10 minutes after the game started, around 60 fans were seen leaving the ground to attend the demo at Parkhead’s front door.

The fans accused Celtic chairman and ex-Defence Secretary John Reid of being a war criminal and called for him to be sacked for “betraying” the Celts’ Irish heritage.

And they belted out foul-mouthed versions of pro-IRA songs.

Protest organiser Stephen McAleese said: “We don’t mean any disrespect to those who have died in the two world wars — my grandfather was in the Army during World War II.

“But the SPL and Celtic PLC have politicised this issue by making the wearing of the poppy compulsory.

“When John Reid took office, he told us to leave our politics at the front door. He would do well to follow his own advice.”

Last night, after Celtic’s 2-0 win, ordinary fans condemned the demo.

Motherwell supporter Matthew Canning, 50, hit out: “I can’t believe people are protesting about the wearing of the poppy.”

A Royal British Legion spokeswoman said: “We asked for the support of all 12 SPL clubs and we are happy that they obliged. We have nothing to say about the boycott.”

A Celtic spokesman added: “The tribute inside the stadium was impeccably observed. The demonstration isn’t worthy of comment.”

source

That is disgusting behaviour. The poppy isnt a symbol of British oppression in NI at all, its a symbol of rememberance all over the world.

In fact, it has as much to do with that as politics in bloody football.

Crazy - especially when you think they will all have relatives who gave their lives fighting for this country !!!!!

::aggressive:: multi :

yeah,think they got thier facts wrong a bit, it was originally to commerate the war dead from the Commonwealth of the first world war.

only word i can come up with is 'Disgusting!'

Disgusting yes, but they were a tiny drop in the ocean compared with the many thousands who applauded in commemoration and booed the protesters.

You're always going to get the bitter nutters. Let's just keep it in proportion.

Disgusting yes, but they were a tiny drop in the ocean compared with the many thousands who applauded in commemoration and booed the protesters.

You're always going to get the bitter nutters. Let's just keep it in proportion.

absolutley correct and my coment were not directed to the good majority of fans.

I have a friend who was ex para and sell badges etc outside Celtic park and he called me last night and i was asking him. He informed they did do and he was raging himsllf but by time he had sorted his stall and got in he actually missed it but he was saying they the word was that it was supporters from Belfast that done it and were handing out leaflet before the game.

But as Karym said what has remembering the dead goto do with it. i think the protest was to the Brittish army and there for biggoted all be it by a minority but biggoted in their agenda all the same.

anyway not giving these fuckers any more of my time espcially today!

anyway not giving these fuckers any more of my time espcially today!

The sad thing is that they attract publicity. A responsible media would have ignored them.

(responsible media.....now there's a contradiction in terms!)

unfortunately, media coverage goes both ways. I am sure there are elements of the media who agree with these idiots.

I find it incredibly disgusting that anyone should try to hijack rememberance day to make a point like this.

they keep telling us keep politics out of sport . then do this . they only have themselves to blame . im surprised it wasnt more walking out .

Watch me flame and get away with it.......Bigots make me wanna PUKE. So around 100 out of 50,000 decided to follow this. Luckily with a good bit of education and majority feeling then these imbeciles will soon be "Bred Out" of our society.

they keep telling us keep politics out of sport . then do this . they only have themselves to blame . im surprised it wasnt more walking out .

Didnt expect anything else from you. Why can you not just stay out of these threads m8 with your biggoted anti British army views. We all know you are a gobshite when it comes to these subjects.

no your i have a poopy and wear it . me and karym were talking about this yesterday . my grandfather fought in this war even though he was irish .. these lads had no choice to turn up and die . i have nothing but respect for the old soilders that fought in ww1 and ww2 .

no your i have a poopy and wear it . me and karym were talking about this yesterday . my grandfather fought in this war even though he was irish .. these lads had no choice to turn up and die . i have nothing but respect for the old soilders that fought in ww1 and ww2 .

Thats good to hear but rememberence day is not only about service men and women lost in the 2 great wars. Its about remembering those who died in all conflicts including Northern Ireland.

The people that left to protest have a cheek to call themself Celtic fans.

Celtic fans turn up to watch the football, not get involved in pish like this.

your trying to get a reaction . m8 . your not getting one . everyone knows my feeling on those who served in ireland . so can we leave it at that . or do you want to start another argument for no reason .

Not looking for an argument m8 just stating some facts. Thats my last word too.

Back